• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Clear skies and just too exhausted to go out

Guest MrsR

With my work schedule and running round after 3 year old twins I've just been too exhausted to go out and am feeling guilty to I don't know who about not getting out with my scope.

I know what you mean. It's a hectic time of year and add to that work commitments and family and something's got to give. Last night was so clear but a family matter came first and all I could do was look out the window :(

When I don't have enough time to do a "proper" session, I usually have a quick browse with my binoculars and shoot some constellations. I agree, though, that it feels criminal to "waste" a clear night. I often do quick digital camera shots of the Moon, too and save webcamming when I have more time and energy.

I don't get out that much for work or apathy reasons, but as Mick says, the universe isn't going anywhere and there will another clear night. I always enjoy a session more when I really want to be out.

The sky will always be there, there's no rush in astronomy.

Could not have said it better myself. :)

I feel the same, example jupiter is at its closest tonight til 2021 ! And I'm at butlins doing an award thing :(

Oh well not to worry like mick says there's always another night..

Work and family always take up so much time so it is important to make sure that you enjoy yourself when you do manage to get out. That is one o the reasons i enjoy our monthly meetings so much. Just to get away from it all for a few hours.

The sky will always be there, there's no rush in astronomy.

The Sun changes daily, especially if you have a narrowband vuewing/photographing capability, so I always try to catch it when I can. Most days sunspots are visible and if you miss them, the pattern will never repeat. Now I've made inroads into webcamming Jupiter, ideally I think it should be done daily, as it seems to change quite rapidly but it's easier said than done.

I usually give priority to solar system objects and do deep sky stuff when I have more time or there's no Moon nor planets on show. They are quite unchanging, apart from the odd variable star.

I also gibe priority to taking images over processing, as I can do the processing when it's cloudy.

I had a run of clear nights recently but it was on my first night off each week and only managed to stay out until 2300 ish.

The other clear nights seem to be when i'm working.

Kids do make it tough but they grow up so quickly so enjoy.

I had a run of clear nights recently but it was on my first night off each week and only managed to stay out until 2300 ish.

The other clear nights seem to be when i'm working.

Kids do make it tough but they grow up so quickly so enjoy.

I know the problem. I'm starting class at 8am, so Gemini is barely clearing the horizon when I go to bed.