• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ALDI telescope Thursday 6th December heads up

Guest Astroplodder

Guest Astroplodder

GM all!

I've never worked for Aldi nor have any shares in the company :) I have, however, bought a lot of things from them and thye are really good imo - two of my computers are sourced from there.

Just a quick "heads up": this week Aldi are featuring a 76mm Newtonian Reflector

http://www.aldi.co.u...buys3_28104.htm

This for £39.99. Whilst I accept it won't be "state of the art" it *might* be worth a look (please pardon the pun!). Perhaps as a guide scope for example??

There is more information in the booklet for this week which is available online or from the store

http://catalog.aldi.com/core/main.php?&SITEID=90a25&PROJECTNR=10812&

It has a 3-year guarantee and - interestingly - a 60-day no quibble return policy - so you can try it over Christmas (for example) and return it if you are at all disappointed.

Again, apologies to the Admon staff if this breaches any forum guidelines etc - please amend or remove as necessary. Thank you :)

Clear skies (if only!)

G

Edited by Astroplodder

Guest Astroplodder

Thanx for the responses - what an active forum this is!

I quite agree: many (MANY!) years ago I remember reading one of Sir Patrick's books where he stated that a pair of binoculars would be preferable to a cheap telescope and I agree wholeheartedly (from experience!).

What intrigues me was that ALDI *do* stock excellent products at very reasonable prices and the "no-quibble" guarantee works well. I had a desktop computer from them a few years ago (now retired) which I *didn't* register at the time. After much use (I ran SETI@home 24/ 7 all year round) the power supply transformer "packed up". In desperation I rang the service department and they sent a courier, returned to base (at their expense), replaced the power supply (for a greater wattage version) and returned with 10 working days. The *only* "charge" to me was the initial phone call. AND, the computer was OUT of the 3 year guarantee period! Compare that service to others and - I think - you'd find it difficult to get comparable?

I appreciate the "mount" is rubbish (!!) and the eyepieces can (probably) be chucked out too :rolleyes: BUT a 76mm (3" in old money) reflector as a back up is - possibly - worth £40?

Caveat emptor of course - but there are 60 days to evaluate it....

BW and thanx for the replies!

G

I was looking at the 76mm newt and I reckon its a rehash of the heritage. If it performs as well as the heritage its well worth the money. Never forget mdstuart at sgl6 with his, he fitted a stonking great hiperion to it and was galaxy bagging with ease.

Guest Astroplodder

All OK on the Tesco scope: nice find! It is only because I do a weekly shop at ALDI (for the essentials!) that I noticed this in the "booklet". OK, too, on the Nat Geo "branding" - caveat emptor indeed! However, with the 60-day cool-off period perhaps still worth it? (Decisions, decisions!)

Thanx again!

G(enya) :o

Edited by Astroplodder

Woops - sorry Genya - my fingers do strange things with the keys these days - I find myself thinking one thing but typing another. I was looking in the fridge for socks the other day before I realised what was going on hahaha! :)

(I remember those PC's a couple years ago - but by the time I got there they'd all gone)

Guest Astroplodder

No worries Kim - and you need cool feet for a cool head! :)

Yes, the most recent (ALDI) computer I bought was a quad core AMD running Win7 with 1TB storage etc. Cracking machine in all truth and - tbh - much better construction/ performance than others I had looked at. They *do* go like hot cakes, however, so the 0800 start is advisable when they have these things in (I'm typing this on my (ALDI) laptop - Intel dual core etc. So, in a way. I *do* have shares in the company! :P

Clear skies (and I *might* have a look at the reflector myself but not sure what Sue would say - "*another* telescope?!!" is a fair bet though!! :D )

G

Not a scope, but I bought one of their 5 watt LED torches for work, at £12.

It knocks the spots off one my colleague bought for £60.

I like Aldi stuff, it's generally good quality. I wouldn't mind a look through one of those scopes just to see what it's capable of.

@Phil, I remember Mark with his huge 76mm dob. He know's his stuff, he bagged about fifteen in as many minutes.