• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter with compact camera

Guest Mr T

Jupiter and two moons using my wife's little Olympus compact digital camera in video mode. The video is about 120 seconds and I used 30% of the frames when stacked in Registax. Scope is a SW 200P 8" newtonian with 20mm eyepiece and 2x Barlow. Afocal method using a digiscoping adaptor.

Thanks, I really want to get the other side though to get G.R.Spot, but weather and having to get up for work at 6am keep getting in the way!

How do you achieve focus? Do you do it by eye on the LCD screen on the back of the camera?

Hi Felix, I focus the scope in the normal way, then just pop the camera and adaptor on and clamp it to the eyepiece. I the use the hand controller of the GoTo to centre (more or less) the target on the LCD on the back of the camera. You can use the camera zoom as well to magnify a bit. You can adjust focus with the camera attached too, just by watching the image on the LCD, it's quick and good fun.