• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How do I remove these lines?

Celeste

I had my first attempt at M42 the other night, didn't do too good but I am trying to learn processing....this is what I ended up with and I can't remove those awful lines. I have tried gaussian blur then sharpen but it makes the image look worse. I need to sort out my focus too, I can see on this image it is was off....but the inidivual images look fine..good focus? I used DSS to align these and PS to process. I will have another go with AA3, but the colour synthesis is awful.....i'm gonna leave that for now! Advice greatfuly recieved :)

Thanks Pat, I do have another shot for the core that makes it look better, the trapezium is it? But for now I just want to get rid of those lines they look awful :(

Edited by Celeste

I used Astro art 3 to capture, DSS to stack then PS to finish...I am just learning techniques atm so i'm not expecting good images....

very nice for first attempt,  cant tell you bout lines as you use a CCD.  Mine is a DSLR so i have to do darks, flats etc when i evetually get sorted out but Steve can advise better on CCD  LOL

Sheila

I've just reread your 1st post, must read proerply in futiure

I've not used AA for years will have a look later and try to figure out the steps for OSC

I think by killing the colour you have introduced the lines

I may be a while

Thanks Sheila :)

Steve, I use AA3 as the CCD is so old, I can only get the drivers to work on an XP lappy. Not sure if any other software would run this old CCD.

I have had this grid pattern before with my DMK mono camera and was advised that it was because I had the gain set too high.

Do you use PHD?

If you enable PHD dither it may help as the grid lines won't line up with each other during stacking.

Andy, I don't use PHD, i'm not sure if I have a gain setting. I know now the lines are caused by intergrated exposure, which is apparently the recommended setting according to the manual....which I was following to the letter. I have had some success in removng them using DSS, but then that brings up other issues lol, mostly the colour.....URGH!

I process this in AA using the stacking routine

tools/preprocessing

you open the image click on 2 stars (make sure they are highlighted) at opposite sides of image

then open the preprocessing routine

don't use darks flats or bais to start with (unless you have ethe calibration frames)

select the images,select 2 star align and click the MX colour synthesis

Hi Steve, yup done that....I had AA3 manual at my side too lol...following that to the letter as well. Oh well...i'm still learning

I wasn't too sure how to do flats/darks etc....I think I got darks...put the cap on the end and take the same exposures again....flats...i'm reading up about. Oh and it's not integrated exposure sorry it was interlaced...

well thats ow I did the image I sent you with a play in PS to stretch it a bit

no lines in that image :D

part of problem is the core of 42 is satuarated so cannot do any processing with it

which scope are you using?

depends on if you want core or outer filmy regions

for core i've used 5 sec upwards images and layered them in and still was not happy

I would at the moment just get used to using the ccd and don't worry about the core of M42 try for the outer regions

M42 has a very large brightness range  easy to capture but very hard to get a really good processed image

i will have a think about what object might be more suitable to get you going

Steve

I tried M27 too, but when processing it's a trade off between stars/detail or colour....hmmm. I have been thinking about guiding, as I assume with the images of M27 being bad I need longer exposures. Urgh it's a mine field!