• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Waxwings

RonC

Went the local Tesco's in Sleaford this morning and saw 5 Waxwings on a Rowan tree near the car park entrance! Wonderful looking birds!! There's an influx from Scandinavia at the moment and the Waxwings have been sighted from Durham down to the Kent coast!

Worth keeping an eye open for them on berry bushes, which is why they favour supermarket car parks!!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

Thanks Ron,

I saw one of these when we were kids, with my brother, it turned up in our garden.

A very good looking bird, and nothing here looks close to it.

Brilliant shots Steve, I will be out tomorrow , it should be sunny and chase a few!! There's a photo on Lincs Bird Forum of a tree and 126 Waxwings counted and circled!! Could happen tomorrow!!

Ron

Mick for your info: Gib point today: Rough-Legged Buzzard, Water Pipit, 1 Black Brant Goose in a flock of 200+ Brents! 4 SEOwls 1 Barn Owl and 2 Merlins, Oh and 2 Hen Harriers!! Have a good day tomorrow!!

(have PM'd this to you Mick!)

Edited by Ron Clarke

Just seen about 100 waxwings flying around Chilwell Retail Park.

They are on top of the trees near the Corn Mill Pub as well.

Quite a sight Mick,I bet!! Only a flock of 12 left near here today, but what a fantastic bird to watch!!

Ron

It was a sight Ron, I would say they were in three groups of roughly 30 birds each. I watched them for about 10 minutes flying between the rowan trees.