• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQ5 AND DUAL AXIS MOTORS FOR SALE

Guest june1902

Guest june1902

THIS ITEM HAS NOW BEEN SOLD!!!!

this was purchased late january this year ( have reciept ) and has had 4 / 5 uses since that time so is litaraly as brand new, june struggled with the alt/dec control's so we purchased the dual axis motor's ( used twice ) so again as new !!,

we then decided that the answer would be to invest in the EQ6 and the EQ5 has sat in the spare bedroom ever since,
assuming someone may be intending to purchase one of these over the coming week's (xmas gift maybe ;) ) then consider this, the cost of above was £ 340.00........im looking for £ 220.00 so a fair saving is available here :thumbsup:

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

COLLECTION ONLY.....DUE TO WEIGHT !!

Edited by june1902

• 2 weeks later...

Hi June

I am thinking of upgrading my present set up (only a SW130 on an EQ2 jelly mount!) in the new year and thought this would be a good start.  I can then think about a new OTA as funds allow.  My main concerns are the weight and also whether I can use the SW130 with it for the time being?  Any thoughts

Thanks

Doug

Guest june1902

hi doug, john here !!   well what can i say!!, in all fairness i should point out that we are novice's with astronomy, and it's june's hobby...i just do the research and purchase & setup the equipment  ;)  due to an industrial accident some year's ago june had a spinal fusion which left her disabled, i tell you this because it shaped our progress into astronomy equipment......in december 2011 i purchased an sw200 dobby mounted ideal for june to sit and view.....but it turned out she couldnt cope with the constant adjustment's required to keep the dobby on target  :(  soooooo we purchased the eq5 :)  but soon found the adjustment knob's to be awkward for her especialy in the dark :(  so i purchased the remote & motors  :) great improvement but due to the greater hight of eq5 with sw200 mounted she now could not sit and view the night sky's :(  and can only stand for short period's......and most of that time was spent finding the dam star she wanted  ;)  leaving little time to view before she felt fatigued  :( this is what led to the purchase of the neq6 along with a refractor scope :D  she can now find star's automaticaly and sit down to view ( finaly  :D  )

in the spring the obsy will be built & all should be perfick !!! :D

to answer your othier concern's it's not as heavy as it looks i can carry it out with tripod attatched (minus weight's of course  :D  )

and as far as im aware there is no known reason not to use your scope on such a mount, by the way it's on ebay at present 9 watcher's but as yet no bidder's......so please let me know what you decide as i would not be keen to remove it should it start accruing bid's,best regard's, john.

Doug, weight wise, Sheila who is on this forum is only 5 foot and a fart and she can lift her NEQ6 (or whatever she has) no problem so you should be okay. I'm guessing they weigh about 20-25kg but that is a guess.

Hi

Thanks for the detail John and thanks for your comments.  My dilemma is whether to go with the eq5 or get a large Dob (200 or 250 flexitube).  Anyone know the largest OTA the Eq5 will hold well?

I am notorious for being rubbish at making decisions so don't remove it from ebay john, I'll take my chances. :)

i`m like you Doug, takes me ages to make up my mind and part with my friends, i mean money,

but one thing to bare in mind is that it`ll last you a fair bit of time before you might want to move up to a bigger mount or buy a dob and if you sell it you`ll lose nothing or very little money on it, one nice thing about buying well looked after second hand gear form someone you know.

This really helps Rob, Thanks.  Think I shall go for it if it is still available after the festivities.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.