• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Very Quick Session in my Yard

catman161

Just a very quick scan in the back yard.

Equipment:

• Monk Observer 25x100 Binoculars
  • Horizon 8115 Tripod
  • Stellarium
  • Me

So I setup the tripod and the bins out in the back yard as the sky was clear and the neighbours security light was off for once. I really should have the scope out and be out there still but have had friends over since 4pm and am feeling quite tired and my back is playing up today.

So before I went out I had a look on stellarium rather than just aimlessly scanning. I decided I would look at Auriga and obviously the regulars, Taurus, Orion and andromeda. I started with Taurus and the first object was Jupiter which allowed me to sort the focus on the eyepieces which is done for each eye indvidually on the 25x100's, I'm still trying to get used to that. So I focused up on jupiter and saw the disc, very bright and hard to resolve any band detail as I don't know if it's just me but it seemed a little turbulent. I could clearly see 4 moons to the left of the discs as small pin pricks of light. The disc itself showed slight yellowish tinging around the edges. I have seen this to a greater extent when looking at the moon with these bins, although it does not detract from the detail that you can see in them-fantastic bins.

Next I looked at the Hyades which fitted nicely in the FOV, and could see nice colour on sme of the stars. Then I swung them up to M45 and looked at this for a couple of minutes. I must say that M45 is a perfect target for these bins. It fits perfectly in the FOV right up to the edge as though this target was made for viewing in the bins. Very bright blue stars, beautiful.

Then I swung up and had a cursory look at M31, not for long as my back was aching already and this was very high up. I reset the bins to look at Auriga. Well I started just below and found M35 easily, followed by M37, M36 and M38. Each one were very pleasing views. M35 and M37 were a little dimmer than M36 and M38 but there is a lot of LP at my place and they were the lower of the objects. M38 surprised me a little as I wasn't expecteing it but could see some indivdual stars.

As a final object (and back breaker!) I swung the bins directly at zenith between Cassiopeia and Perseus and took a look at the Double Cluster.Wow, it looked fabulous I managed only a couple of minutes looking at this but thought if it looks this good in my LP back yard in the city then at a true dark sky site these binoculars are gonna blow me away.

That concluded my session as my back was aching a little. I managed all of this in the tiny time of 40 minutes. As I said just a quick session but an enjoyable one. I really enjoy these Bins and as Phil said in his advert when selling them they are good as a grab n go when you don't want to set the scope up, I wholeheartedly agree :)

Good report Felix, don't think seeing is that great tonight, I also struggled to resolve Jupiter!!  

Cracking report Felix and a good read. Glad you had a good session.

Thanks Daz :)

Good report Felix, don't think seeing is that great tonight, I also struggled to resolve Jupiter!!

Glad it wasn't just me then Ron :)

Nice report Felix.

I will get some big bins one day :) .

He he :) I thought you were gonna beat me to it when phil was selling Pete ;)

Looking forward to seeing those bins next time we meet up Felix - I knew they'd be good :)

They are great Kim. I will have to get sorted and bring them over. The wife is taking the car and staying at her brothers for two days this coming week but will try and sort something out,it's been too long.

Of course all are welcome to use them when I see you. They are simply great to use. I was speaking to Martyn when we were at wymeswold the other night about making a P-mount for them which will be great. I also emailed Monk this evening to see if they may be able to make some 45 degree eyepieces for them to ease the neck strain when doing Zenith work. Will wait and see what they say :)

Great stuff Felix, glad you got to use them. Next time take a look at M31 with 32 and 110, that will blow your socks off.  M45 is spectacular in them as well. M33 stands out nicely also. Lunar and planetary they aint but on dsos they are something else

Good read, those 4 clusters(35-38) are very bright and brilliant widefield :) I remember first seeing them at Belper a few weeks ago when I was randomly scanning.

I might just come down to your place one night this week Felix - it'll make an interesting change and save you being stranded without wheels lol :)

You're not wrong Phil-they are fantastic. Best purchase I've made yet IMO.

Glad you enjoyed it Eddy-I agree those clusters are some of my favourites.

Kim that'd be great :) I'll get the kettle on! Now that Katie is starting to work in community dietitian role I'm seeing the car less and less :( Hopefully (fingers crossed!) if all goes well with my new venture that will not be a problem :)

I've always wanted a pair of big bins as well, but I would ned them on a P mount or I would be in agony rather quick. Awesome read Felix really enjoyed it.

I was chatting to Martyn about P-mounts at wymeswold that night. I have since Been reading about DIY p mounts and found some great projects. I may give it a go myself ;) Probably won't work though, I am terrible with wood and don't have the skill set or tools to work with metal. It is interesting to read about them though.

Glad you enjoyed it Mick. I had fun considering it was a very quick session.

Great session Felix.

I'll see if I can come up with a cost effective design for a P mount. There has got to be some way of doing it.

Great session Felix.

I'll see if I can come up with a cost effective design for a P mount. There has got to be some way of doing it.

That would great thanks Martyn :) I am more confident to give something a go when I am working in partnership with someone with skills like yours :) Would be cool to actually build something useful and that works lol!