• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

9th Dec in back yard

Tweedledee

Set up all my kit in the back yard at about 4.30pm this afternoon, and let it cool as it got dark. I had good intentions to get some imaging done with the Mintron on the 10" SNT. Spent a couple of frustrating hours messing about with wires and downloading drivers and got some very helpful telephone troubleshooting from JohnC. At one point I found I had my 12 volt quick connector plugged in offset so only one wire was connected, no wonder the Mintron didn't seem to work at first since there was no circuit. This is what happens when connecting all the electrical stuff in the dark with very cold fingers. Anyway, it proved to be a very useful time sussing out the electrics and software, even though I did not manage any imaging. I now know what I need to do to make it all come together.

After giving up with the Mintron, I coiled up and packed away loads of cables, the Mintron, control box and capture dongle and got out my big eps.

I was blown away again by the spacewalk experience of the 10" and big eps on some clusters, even from the back garden. Had a look at the Pleiades, they just all fitted into the 1.4 degree field of the 14mm 100 degree Explore Scientific at 73x, but were better framed and looked superb in the 23mm 82 degree Axiom at 44x. The double cluster was superb as usual both just fitting in the field of the 14mm ES. Once again I enjoyed finding all the orange and red stars lightly sprinkled amongst the white ones. Stock 2 is another favourite cluster of mine near the double cluster but needs an even wider field than the Axiom, will have to win the lottery and get the ES 25mm 100d for that for a 2.5 degree real field in the 10"!  Had some quick but enjoyable views of Messiers clusters 34 through 39 and 52.

Then I decided to have a look for something new (to me). Actually it was one of the objects I had planned to give the Mintron first light on. Alessi J20053+4732 or O'Meara 3. I found it in the 12 x 80 finder as several stars in a really tiny fuzzy patch, in the right place relative to two brighter stars. A pretty, very tiny, virtually unknown asterism about one and a half degrees west of Omicron 1 and 2 Cygni. It is in an already incredibly rich region of stars. This unassociated group of stars stands out among the rest as a compact cluster and really needs higher power than I gave it. Still very pleasing and recognisable in the 23mm 82d Axiom at 44x and better in the 14mm 100d at 73x, giving massive 1.9 and 1.4 degree real fields respectively. I could just resolve about 25 9th to 11th mag. stars contained in less than about 10 minutes of arc. One of the brighter stars towards the middle had an orange tint. The first impression was of two nearly parallel lines, one slightly curved, with 4 to 6 of the brighter stars in each line, further study revealed more stars with other patterns emerging. I found this interesting cluster in my new book "The Secret Deep" by Stephen James O'Meara, and knew the Mintrons small chip size would really have blown it up to do it justice. But, maybe next time. O'Meara found this grouping of stars independently in September 2009 and checked it out and put his own name to it (O'Meara 3) as he has done with several other finds. The obscure Alessi catalog contains 41 clusters and asterisms found by Brazilian amateur Bruno Alessi in 1997/8.

Another nice, slightly larger, more prominent grouping of 9th mag stars is found about half a degree west of Omicron 1 Cygni, (called Sullivan 1 on my map  ;) ), but when scanning around Cygnus these groups to be expected.

Despite not spending the night imaging as I had intended, down to lack of preparation really, the short visual observing session was thoroughly enjoyable :) .

Top Report Peter, visual can still impacting even when you're not planning it!! Enjoyable reading!   :)

Nice report there Pete. I dabble with a video camera from time to time and also find cables very frustrating, especially when they are cold and stiff. One day I'll get them all cut to the right length and formed a into single clip on unit. 

Nice report Pete, some interesting clusters youve recorded there, I shall have to have a look at those.

Bad luck on the Mintron, when I 1st got mine I set it all up in daylight, (had to cos of the awful weather at the time) it helps to get everything working in the daylight. 

You said you have a control box on the mintron, which camera have you got? mines the 12v6 with the controls on the back or I can have it pc controlled which is a pita to set up.

Guest Tweedledum

Thats a nice report Pete, makes for an easy read.

Have the 152mm out cooling, a quick peep through the ep's and the 7-24mm zoom is good, the 2" 26mm is ok, 32mm nice but have a hole for a wideish 30mm, and a good 4mm!.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Phil,

You are right, I really should have got things working in daylight first.

Sometimes, everyday stuff gets in the way, and time is tight for those of us who can't afford to retire yet :lol: .

This is the Mintron model I have...

http://www.sac-imaging-europe.com/SAC/SAC-MINTRON.htm

It used to belong to JohnC and came with a screw-in 1.25" 0.5x focal reducer which should come in handy.

Cheers,

Pete.