• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader 8-24mm clickstop zoom

Guest Dirk Dongler

Guest Dirk Dongler

Morning all

Anyone have any experience with this zoom jobby

Would it be any good in my 8SE?

Thanking you for any help

Dave

It would be great for your scope I used mine when I had a 6SE and it was the only EP I used. The 8mm view was not as bright as a fixed good quality EP but the flexibility it offers makes up for that

Strongly recommended from me - smashing eyepiece - very flexible - was great in my 800 (now upgraded to 925) and works smashing in my other scopes too. Can't go wrong with it. Mines the Mk2 - the latest Mk3 model did have some "sticking" problems so buy from a supplier with good after sales service just in case. Best used with the 2" adaptor for better stability in the diagonal or focus tube. :)

Plus one from me. It's the only EP I use. I will buy others but just gotta save! For now the zoom is awesome and very versatile :)

Guest Kheldar

Good EP no doubt, just remember the FOV at it's widest (24mm) is only 40 deg. It is very versatile, but won't replace your wide field EP (IMHO!)

I can see why people use them but not for me, as Stephen says at 24mm it's only 40°, I much rather have a 82° degree eyepiece, it's twice as wide and brighter.

I have one and so far it is the only ep I use but I am looking to purchase a wide fov ep at some point in the future to make up for zoom's lack of fov.

That is the only downside I have found so far, used mine for over a year, not had any issues with it yet.

(Mines the MK III)

It's actually 50 degrees at 24mm :P and 68 degrees at 8mm so it's not bad at all especially for convenience

Edited by Eddy

I guess the wider field at the lower power doesn't really matter cos it is after all a zoom eyepiece which will presumably be used to zoom in on an object or magnify an object for imaging. The fov at 24mm is still usefull for locating stuff that you want to zoom in on - and if you want to view big stuff then I guess you'd swop in a wider lower power eyepiece - that's how I use mine amongst other things.

I've always recommended the Baader Zoom to anyone considering getting an eyepiece set. It gives you practically everything that's in a set (except filters and carry case) in a single eyepiece - which is several good steps up in quality over supplied eyepieces - and for only around £30-£40 more than a set. You can even attach a dslr to it for afocal photography (which does work cos I tried it lol). :)

Couldn't agree more Kim, if I had the choice between a revelation kit or a Baader Zoom then the Baader wins hands down.

Guest Dirk Dongler

Wow what a response

Looks like the fat bearded one could have

one of those in his sack for me then

Thanks for all the positive replies guys n gals

Dave

Guest Dirk Dongler

Wooooohoooooo.....Fat man dressed in red has been

Been up to Rother Valley Optics and got one of these thingies

Its bigger than I thought it would be

Just gotta wait for some clear sky now lol