• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet C/2012 K5 Linear

Guest Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Well, its not widefield, but there is no catagory for this. (Maybe mods can add a Misc catagory).

Anyway, this target took some finding, I had a good idea of where to point and took a few images and kept looking for anything that may have been a comet.

Eventually after about 20 shots, I found something that looked like a smudge. I decided that it must be it and continued to take about 30 subs but had to use ISO 1600 due to faintness of the comet.

Looking through my images one by one, I could see the position of the comet changing, confirming I was on target.

I stacked the images, which elongated the comet tail as its position was slightly different in each image. It was quite low on the horizon in the North East and suffered greatly with light polution.

On the full image there was also a very nice double, but as yet I have not been able to identify it.

Anyway, here it is, sorry its not much to look at.

Edited by Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis
Here is the full frame and I have identified the double as being Gilese 521.2 A(&B)

Full image details are...

Center (RA, Dec):

(204.784, 50.180)

Center (RA, hms):

13h 39m 08.178s

Center (Dec, dms):

+50° 10' 48.858"

Size:

76.8 x 51.1 arcmin

Radius:

0.769 deg

Pixel scale:

1.07 arcsec/pixel

Orientation:

Up is -34.3 degrees E of N

Nice capture.

If you select Comet mode in dss it will align the comet but the stars will trail. Look in dss help.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ely Ellis

Well everyone,

I decided to stack my comet Linear image in DSS using comet mode.

It has brought out the comet a bit brighter and clearer and the stars in the background show movement.

There's not much of a tail, but it certainly brings the comet out better.

The new stack I think is much better. Compare with the old one.

New image

Old image

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis

Nice Martin, not seen a comet through a scope yet. I'll wait for this one to get a little easier to see (isn't March predicted to be best for viewing this one?).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ely Ellis
Nice Martin, not seen a comet through a scope yet. I'll wait for this one to get a little easier to see (isn't March predicted to be best for viewing this one?).

Dan, this one is moving away, its not the one due in March.

This was very faint, although when stacked using the comet option in DSS, it shows up quite bright.

Quite pleased with the second stacking.

Martin

Far better shape and definition in the new stack, well done.

At the end of the day your not interested in the stars in this type of shot.