• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hiya from a newbie

stovesy

Hi to all.

I've joined this forum as I've had in interest in all things astro since childhood. I've got to the stage now where (time permitting) I'd like to move things on, and increase my knowledge of the night sky.

I live under the familiar orange glow of suburbia, and can pick out some bright winter constellations, but by no means do I know my way around the sky.

Many years ago I bought myself an ETX90 which has seen a few (winter night) outings  in the garden. I've been happy with what I've seen.

I've never been a member of any astro clubs or the like, but from what I've seen, this seems a lively place to pursue my interest further.

So there we go. That's me.

Look forward to chatting some time.

Pete.

Hi Pete and welcome!

I think most of us, like you, live under that orange glow. Luckily we've got two dark sites which we use to observe from when the weather permits. You're welcome to join us to see if it's something you enjoy. All members who use the sites put in £20 a year to the kitty which pays for the dark sites and the forums. :)

If you do join us at the dark site you'll find most members quite eager to help you get to grips with the sky.

Please feel free to ask any questions in the forums.

Enjoy the forums. :)

Welcome to EMS!

I live just outside Derby and am quite lucky with LP as I am on top of a hill which helps a lot. The good news is that winter is ideal for some brighter objects which should be visible through quite bad LP. Jupiter is pretty well placed at the minute for instance.

Hi Pete and welcome to EMS.

Not sure if you have seen this but Stellarium is a fantastic free piece of software that will help you learn the night sky, also quite nice to just look at and zoom in on objects, can be found here.....

http://www.stellarium.org/

Hope you enjoy the forum, any question just ask away in the relevant sections and someone will be along to answer them.

Also, just to echo what Craig has said above, the dark site's are really good, Belper in particular, look forward to meeting you at one of them.

Clear skies!

Regards,

Darren.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Pete,

Warm welcome to EMS.

A couple of things to help you round the sky are : 'Sky & Telescope - pocket sky atlas' and a planetarium program. Many out there but Stellarium is a popular one especially as it is free!!.. this can be downloaded from here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/

Cheers

Welcome to EMS Darren :)

Eah, i`ve been here for years!

Do you mean Pete?

I most certainly did-apologies to both-post amended :)

Hi Pete and a warm welcome to EMS :)

It's all been said above - just remains to point out you can join us at a dark site for a free session - if you enjoy yourself and want to join up then you'd be most welcome to. Hope we get to meet you soon - meantime enjoy the forum :)

Hi Peter, welcome to EMS, you're not far from our dark site at Wymeswold. They are meeting this Saturday night, if you watch the notice boards on here you will see all the information on it!  :)

Hi Pete, a warm welcome to EMS.

If you are able to, see if you can get to the Wymeswold meet this Saturday night. It's one of the quarterly meets, so there's a bit more happening. Aside from the fact it's the first proper meet there.

I look forward to meeting you sometime soon.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away, someone will be along to help out.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum.