• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

East Lincs Astronomy Club December meet.

oldfruit

We will be holding our December meeting tomorrow Saturday 15th December at Gibraltar Point Nature Reserve visitors centre near Skegness, and will be setting up in the car park around 5pm.

All are welcome to join us, with or without a scope as we have scopes that you would be more than welcome to look through. We may also catch the back end of the Geminids meteor shower.

The night started well with myself and Paul setting up, conditions looked like they could be ok as there were odd bits of cloud. Jupiter looked good early on as the seeing was really steady and despite Jupiter being quite low, we could see quite a lot of detail. We did see Europa dissapear behind Jupiter tonight though this was through gaps in the increasing haze and cloud and the seeing conditions deterioated quickly.

We also had a visit from the Gib Point site manager this evening and had a quick chat and he even had a quick glance at Jupiter, seemed a nice chap (despite blinding me with his head lights).

Whilst the weather was rubbish, it was still nice to get out for a bit. Thanks Paul for the company, always a pleasure.

Sounds like you had a nice evening chaps - we had to keep dodging in and out of cloud at Wymeswold but some folks ran off a few subs and I managed a wobbly peek at Jupiter in Philj's classic refractor. Roll on the good seeing eh! :)

More like the night that could have been, the seeing early on was great and we were hoping that the clouds would have parted for long enough but sadly this was not the case. Though it is typical, now it is 12.30am and have just been for a fag and the sky is crystal clear and even Sirius is hardly twinkling. :angry:

WeLl at least you had a half good night Mark, I'm just back from the worst xmas party ever !

Never mind Dave, you would have missed the fireball I'm sure ! :lol:  :lol: (seen at Wymeswold!) Glad you guys got a bit of stargazing in, cleared  here about 11pm, managed M42 with the bins and saw 2 or 3 meteors as well! Hope we can have a quick meet over the holiday! Keep an eye on the weather sites after Boxing Day???

Cheers

Ron