• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sir Patrick Moore's dying wish to turn his home into a museum

Craig

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9743532/Sir-Patrick-Moores-dying-wish-to-turn-his-home-into-a-museum..html

Plans are made to honour Sir Patrick Moore's dying wish by turning his home in Sussex into an astronomy centre.

With its large collection of telescopes, xylophones and memorabilia from his remarkable career, Sir Patrick Moore’s house was a treasure trove. Now, plans are afoot to honour the eccentric astronomer’s dying wish and turn the rambling property into a museum.

“Sir Patrick always wanted to turn the house into an astronomy centre that would help inspire a new generation of stargazers,†says one of his friends.

Yes who will fill Sir P's boots to popularise astonomy and get a new generation interested? How about Dara O'Brian, Brian Cox or Brian May?

Chris Lintott/Paul Abel and various contributors will keep the ship afloat.

It must be a terrible experience for an intelligent person to be trapped inside a failing body.

RIP.

Regards.

Typical of sir Patrick, devoted to astronomy even after his passing.

I think the S@N will go on with the current line up of presenters who have been chipping in, I cant imagine Brian Cox having the time or Brian May for that matter. We may see them appear occassionally yes but not as full time presenters. 

I reckon the BBC have been steering the S@N this way for the past few years as Sir PM s health got worse

I dont think there is anyone as charismatic as Sir PM at the moment. Brian Cox can certainly hold an audience, (especially the laydiees :D ) but you never know

I think Sir P was so unique and different that the current format will be changed and a totally fresh face brought in. That's what it needs really - as much respect as I have for them, I can't see any of the current co-presenters filling his shoes sucessfully. :)

No one person could take his place and as said I think the BBC has been slowly setting up the program to be presented by several contributors.

It may lose some of its personal touch though.

I read today that Brian May bought Sir Patrick's house off him a few years ago and leased it back to him ' for one peppercorn'. It was because he was so generous and didn't bother much about money and was getting a bit short at times so BM did it to ensure his final years were untroubled by financial worries. Very touching.

What ever they do to Sky@Night, I just hope they don't change the format too much and try and popularise it  -i.e. dumb it down.

I think John Coulshaw would be a good presenter, he is a good communicator and mad about Astro.

Again though, would he have the time.

I can see Chris Lintott as the main presenter and think that the BBC were lining him up as a replacement. I think bringing someone new in would alter the balance of the show. Of course, nobody would ever replace Sir Patrick but I can see Chris and the other co-presenters can carry on in the same vein.