• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

eq5 and eqmod

Guest Madatter

Guest Madatter

Hi, I've just got a eq5 gt, I intend using it with eqmod through the handset for now.

This will be the start off a lot of questions. The mount will be used in the same location, do I need to set the lat/log time/date on the handset every time I use it, even though I'm using eqmod?

Thanks

i`m not 100% certain, but if your using eqmod software then you shouldn`t need to put the details into the handset as all the details are in eqmod and eqmod controls the software.

you can buy a cable from Dion on Astronomy shed for about £15 ish if i remember correctly and then you can do away with the handset.

it`s not the Hitec astro version, which works well and i use, but a smaller, slimmer unit.

looks just like a cable. 

Guest Madatter

Thanks, my understanding is you cannot connect straight from you pc to the mount without an interface, either a eqdirect box a dedicated Bluetooth adaptor or the handset, I think the interface converts the pc signal into something the mount can understand.

Please tell me I'm wrong and can save some money

Hi Steve.

If you use EQMOD via your handset then you will need to set the hand set to PC mode, this will remove the handset's control over the mount removing the need to input date time ect.

If you need detailed info on using EQMOD go on to SGL and ask for a guy called Chris hillto.

He wrote the EQMOD program.

There is also a dedicated EQMOD forum/group on yahoo.

If you bought the mount new you should have a parallel to serial cable for flash upgrading the mount and handset software. If not you can get one from Astronomiser. All you need then to hook up to a PC via the handset is a serial/usb converter cable and ASCOM hub/driver software which is downloadable for free.

You'll then be able to guide, image, and control the mount, all from pc, and use Stellarium or CduC for point and click slewing. I've no idea why folks use the eqmod/eqdir as a preference, but there must ba a good reason - which I reckon will be your main criteria for purchasing it. :)

No one seems to know what the handset does in pc direct mode, its undocumented.

eqmod through a proper eqmod cable has many advanced features - 

Alignment using any star and as many as you wish (you could if you were nuts do 20 star alignment)

It saves as many locations as you want so you just select from a drop down (ie. Home, Darksite)

It uses the time from your laptop which if like mine auto corrects when connected to the internet.

Eqtour and add on tours from Sky at night mag.

Mosaic mode if you want to image large areas.

Spiral search which slews the scope in an ever increasing spiral to locate objects (only ever have to use this when imaging Planets at 6 meter focal length)

I sure I've missed loads off, but overall when you get the hang of it it points with far greater accuracy.

Ooooo..... that all sounds very desire'able Andy - I'm glad I asked - and glad I got one at Kelling last Autumn. But it's been sitting round still unopened and gathering dust ever since I got back. I must at least try it out before I flog everything to get a big dob - that's my latest crazy idea lol. Funny you should mention that spiraling thing - I was just reading about that feature on argo navis systems earlier this morning. :)