• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

direct pc mod

Guest Madatter

Guest Madatter

Been at it all day, cannot getc my laptop to connect to my eq5 mount, my handset is a nextstar+ I'm using a pcmcia serial adaptor com port set to 9 in ascom and on laptop. I've been searching the internet and everybody says the same thing, the handset needs to be in pcdirect mod, trouble is I can't find it anywhere on the handset?

Guest Madatter

It's the celestron not sky watcher, I didn't know there was 2 different handsets, it doesn't mention that little gem in the instructions, looks like it's something else. I just found I installed to ascom drivers wrong as well so I'll reinstall everything and try again.

So are you saying pcdirect only works with sw handsets, and I need to buy a interface?

Sorry celestron eq5 handset and mount

Edited by Madatter

Steve - we need to know mount make and model and handset make and model and which software version you have on the handset (and encoders if possible). Also which laptop and windows version (assuming you use windows). :)

Guest Madatter

Celestron CG-5 GOTO Equatorial new from RVO s last week, Nextstar + handset v5.21.2064, hp laptop 4 gig duel processor running windows 7, starry night and apt are the main programs on it, I plan on only using it for astro, I've got a quad core with a 24" screen in the house for editing.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Madatter

And the penny drops, you can only use eqmod with sw, but I should be able to use ascom within the starry night to control the scope.

So I need to forget about eqmod, pity I've just spent a month learning all about it. Why do people write instruction aimed at people that already know what their doing?

Ahhh yes that would seem right - I've not heard of eqmod for Celestron mounts. If you have a search Glider has done a 3 part tutorial on hooking up and using Auto Guiding which has all the physical cabling along with software links to Ascom. It's on here somehwere I think. But if you don't find it it's in the Tutorial Section on Astronomy Shed.

Also Dion has done a remote control guide with all you need to control from Stellarium. I'm sure it must be similar for Starry Night. There may even be a dedicated Starry Night thread there too.

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Guest Ely Ellis

Steve,

If its any help, I have a CG-5 Goto with Nextstar handset (not the + version though).

If you just want to control the scope from software (not guiding), then I use Stellarium, a USB to serial cable and just plug it into the bottom of the handset.

It is very easy to setup and use, no external drivers involved (other than the plug-in with Stellarium, which comes as standard).

I have now taken to sitting in the house and controlling the scope from Stellarium and using a 5m USB extension cable to my camera, I can sit in comfort and take images.

If you need any assistance, just drop me a line, I'm only down the road from you at South Normanton.

If its autoguiding your wanting, then Pat (Tod8137) is the man to speak to. I would like to try autoguiding further down the line, so maybe we can walk that path together!

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis

Guest Madatter

Thanks to everyone, I think installing eqmod as messed all the ascom up, I'm going to uninstall ascom and eqmod and start again. Everybody is out at meadowhhell Xmas shopping tonight so it's a good time to take over the livingroom floor.

Guest Ely Ellis

Stellarium is very easy to set up to control the CG-5 Goto mount. You still need to do your usual alignment process, but once setup, just plug in and go.

I find it useful if I don't know what things are called as the handset contains 40,000 objects. Just looking at Stellarium and thinking... "I will look at that..." then just click on it and away the scope goes.

It also helps me keep the scope pointing in the area of interest, the most anoying things is choosing an object from the handset menu only to have the scope slew all the way over to the West, where my view is blocked. Using Stellarium, I can see where I want to point before I send it.

Due to it working both ways, Stellarium will also indicate where the scope is currently pointing.

Martin

Apologies if you are already aware. APT has mount control via Ascom.

No visual interface though. Targets are selected via a drop down menu:

apt_mount_zps07a6fda0.jpg

Celestron/Ascom driver (if you didn't have it).

I'm an EQMOD/Sky Watcher user so my help stops here  :D  

Regards.

Edited by Antares_Paul