• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Question on auto Skywatcher dobs.

Doc

Hi folks,

Can someone with a Skywatcher syntrek auto dob help me here.

How do you select Lunar tracking rate instead of normal Sidereal tracking rate.

Choose Setup Mode and scroll through the options - you'll come to Tracking - select that and you'll get Sidereal, Lunar, Solar and Stop tracking. :)

Ugh - yeah I just realised Mick - sorry about that I was too enthusiastic lol.

If it's the tracking handset with Guide, Slow and Fasy buttons at the top - you can only set rate "1x" which is Sidereal - there's no setting for Lunar - but I'll double check and confirm. :)

Cheers Damian,

I tried finding the manual with no luck so thankyou.

Just to clarify you hold down the slow key and press the down key.

Yup - I'm afraid it's Guide and Slow buttons together to toggle tracking on/off - toggle it on - then hit Guide on it's own for 1x (or sidereal) rate. The other rates are used for centering and slewing.

The manuals are hard to find - you can borrow mine Mick :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mick,

No worries, extract from manual...

Lunar rate tracking allows SynTrekTM. to track the Moon at the

same rate the Moon moves across the sky. Lunar rate tracking

can be activated by pressing and holding the SLOW key, then

press the DOWN arrow key.

Cheers

Oh right - hmmmm.... I'll have to check again - I have hard copies of all the manuals - so you're welcome to borrow any. :)

Nope - You're right - I have the Dob Auto Tracking manual, the AZ Synscan Goto, and the AZ Tracking manual. Not the Syntrek. Scratch all my posts lol. Sorry for confusing. :)

Lol - and too many scopes too hahaha. I'm thinking of selling them all to get the 20" Obsession with the Argo Navis s/c's and Servocat goto system - but who knows - it might be something else next week lol :)

Mine doesn't track very well either but there must be a way as when I was at Kelling 2011 NickH had one on loan from FLO I think and his tracked for over 45 minutes.

Yup - mine (when it's in working order) will keep the object dead center for 30-40mins in a 12mm-15mm eyepiece with no problem. It's the auto tracking one but I upgraded to a goto handset and it still tracks the same. :)

Previously I had it tracking for ages. 2 mins sounds like it's just not tracking at all.

To track you have to push two buttons together, are you doing that?

We'll have to look at that for you Mick - 2mins is dead short. With an 8mm eyepiece I can get a good 20 mins with only a tiny tad of drift.