• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Piers?

catman161

Sorry for being a total newbie again but can anyone tell me what a pier is in Astronomy terms?

I have been reading on a astronomy shed the adventures of Jen who is building her own observatory. One of the first things she did was build a pier. What is it for? I am assuming it to put the scope on, but why can't the scope just be put on the ground?

Felix

It's a permanent replacement for the mount tripod, aligned to the Celestrial North Pole so you don't have to setup and polar align every night. Typically bolted to a great piece of concrete for stability.

Ya know you're right doc. The Dob hasn't even arrived yet (tomorrow agggh!) and already I have looked at countless eyepieces,filters and even a portable observatory!!

I think I have gone temporarily insane! All I keep looking at are a) the sky (when it's clear) and B) scope accessories!! Oh yeah and astro mags........and forums ;)

Felix

I dont think it will be long before Felix is teaching everyone a thing or two!

I have to disagree with you there dan! I think it will be an extremely long time (if ever) before I can teach anyone about anything lol!

I had nothing to do with this one Kim, so can't take any credit - we simply sent the POD off and got this photo shortly afterwards...

We've had several customers bolt the POD to flat roofs on garages and outbuildings. My favourite feature on this installation is the spiral staircase, and I love the way the observatory is integrated with the house too. One day I'd love to build something like this for myself.