• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comfy, comfy....

Guest Mark Payton

Guest Mark Payton

Hi all,

Tried one of my Christmas presents out over the weekend, the ironing stool.

All I can say it made a real difference to my evening. I could just stare at a target instead of having to straighten your back every couple of minutes (breaking eye contact).

I know a lot of newcomers will want to add EPS, filters and barlows to their collection once they get a scope, but parking your backside on something comfy while gazing is an absolute must.

Mark

Glad it worked out for you, I put my scope on a small table so the ep is just at head height.

A comfy stool is just one of the best accessories you can get. Normal folk look at you wierdly when you say it's for astronomy lol :)

I have one as well and it's ok but only adjusts by pulling out a pins and lowering it, a bit of a pita in the dark

Guest Mark Payton

I have one as well and it's ok but only adjusts by pulling out a pins and lowering it, a bit of a pita in the dark

Sounds like I have the same one, still comfy though.

Makes a heck of a difference if you have a dodgy back, like you say, you can go back indoors not feeling like you've been run over.

Strangely enough Martyn I do have a very dodgy back :) I have just checked out Amazon and their European dept can send one to me on Crete (when I get back), I have been looking everywhere for one out there but with no luck.

Worth their weight in gold then! Seriously, it puts you at a comfortable height,and as with a previous thread, the longer you observe something, the more detail you pick up.

I watched a program about how the brain selectivly memorizes parts of your view, and then builds up a complete picture.

You are apparently blind for around two hours every day without realizing it, as the brain discards stuff it doesn't need.

To test this, look in a mirror and look at your left then right eye repeatedly, do you think your eye's move?

They do, ask you partner, or video them on your phone, they move but you don't see it.

Oh yeah, Xmas lectures I have been informed, that was where I saw it.