• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What adhesive is best?

Doc

Whats best to use to stick a flat botton ceramic resistor to a secondary mirror.

Araldite

Silicon

Super Glue

What did you guys use.

I used Silicon for my secondary dew heater Mick. I was advised it's best for glue'ing electrics to stuff by Nick at Altair. I'm sure it says it on their website too. :)

I got loads off Baz, he got me some silicon that he uses at work, it sticks stuff and also transfers heat upto 300 degrees C, more than enough for your secondary. ;)

Can't remember the name, when next in the garage will dig it out, unless Martyn beats me to it.

I used Silicon for my secondary dew heater Mick. I was advised it's best for glue'ing electrics to stuff by Nick at Altair. I'm sure it says it on their website too. :)

And thanks Kim.

I wouldn't mind some of that Darren, only need a dollop of it, seems a shame to buy a hole tube for that.

No probs Mick, will dig it out and look into getting it to you somehow.

There are two good reasons to use Silicone adhesive.

1 - It is, if you get the correct grade, heat resistant and does not degrade. Check the tube, you will need it at least 160 degree's C. Not that it's likely to get to that heat, but it helps with longevity.

2 - If you cock up, or you need to change components, you can get it off by slicing under it with a razor blade. You can't do that with conventional adhesives, as they actually form a bond between the glass and the resistor. Any attempt to part them would end up damaging either the mirror or the resistor, as the glue is stronger than either of them.

It will be between Xmas and New year, one of those days.

If it is easier for you Mick, I work in Ruddington, would that be closer for you then Hucknall? if so, I`m back at work on the 27th + 28th.

If it is easier for you Mick, I work in Ruddington, would that be closer for you then Hucknall? if so, I`m back at work on the 27th + 28th.

Ruddington would be better, PM your works address and what time to come over, I'll meet you in the car park during your lunch break.

Mick, checked the garage and I can't find it anywhere, I think it may still be at Martyn's with some of my other stuff. I have pm'ed him but not had a reply yet, sorry.

Another vote for silicone.

If you can get your hands on some Sikaflex, it would be ideal for your needs and bonds like you know what to a blanket. They use it on boats, caravans amongst many other things.

Super glue would be useless out in the elements, and Araldite sets hard and would not be my first choice, long-term either.

HTH

I have to admit, super glue is only good for rubber and skin. I don't find I can trust it like Araldite, it gives very readily.

I used to make my own hydraulic seals up, and it took 8 ton's per square inch, would I trust it on my scope, not a chance.

That Sikaflex looks good, and it looks like you can get it from Go Outdoors.

If you still need some Mick I could pick up from Martyn this week and bring to work, you said Ruddington was better for you than Watnall / Hucknall? I'm off work this week, back next Monday

Martyn has some in his garage, it's just finding the time to pop up there, don't worry I'll do it.

Thanks for the offer though.

If anyone has an Aldi nearby, they were selling small tubes of silicone, rated to 160 degree's C. I bought a couple of tubes, that's what did your's Daz.

Just give me a bell when you plan on popping over Mick, If I get chance, and Iam driving by yours I'll drop in. I'll ring you first.

Baz.

I'm popping down the pet shop tomorrow at Chilwell meadows, and it's next door to Aldi so I'll pop in and see if they have any, will let you know the outcome Baz.

Popped into the Aldi in Long Eaton, and they have never heard of it, and haven't got any.

Martyn are you going to the Stargazing event on Tuesday at Long Eaton school, if so bring it along then, I'm popping down for an hour or so, but i have work at 20.00 so can't stay long.

Martyn, if you can not make it, let me know before Tuesday morning as I am going so I can pick up and drop off.