• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon through the clouds.

Graham

The Moon was showing her face through the clouds so I decided to grab a few photos.

Taken with my old Fugi fine pix on auto setting I just clicked away to see what I could capture.

No tripod I just stood in the garden snapping away.

For an old 5 mp camera they are not too bad.

Well it helped to relieve some of the frustration from all this cloud and rain.

4-LUNA-4.jpg

1-LUNA.jpg

3-LUNA-3.jpg

2-LUNA-2.jpg

reminds me of Christopher Lee there  LOL.   Hammer house of horror... very eerie

Sheila

Edited by Sheila

Very atmospheric. The problem with cloudy moon shots is the extreme dynamic range in a single image, using levels and curves in photoshop will help but wont do the job fully. What I do is take one image exposed for the clouds, the moon will be over exposed in this. Then I take another shot exposed for the moon.

Then in photoshop create a mask in the clouds one, take out the overexposed moon and add the correctly exposed moon in the mask.

It works quite well

Very atmospheric. The problem with cloudy moon shots is the extreme dynamic range in a single image, using levels and curves in photoshop will help but wont do the job fully. What I do is take one image exposed for the clouds, the moon will be over exposed in this. Then I take another shot exposed for the moon. Then in photoshop create a mask in the clouds one, take out the overexposed moon and add the correctly exposed moon in the mask. It works quite well

I only did it for something to do Phil.

To go down the route you suggest I would have to find out how to use the camera in manual mode. ;)

That is never going to happen unless I get some instructions. :lol:

Guest swaylight

whats your model number of the camera graham, i'm sure i can find you some sort of manuel :)

great shot by the way :)

Edited by swaylight

whats your model number of the camera graham, i'm sure i can find you some sort of manuel :)

great shot by the way :)

Hi Dean

Thanks for the offer but I have the instruction manual.

What I really mean is I have no idea about photography and the instruction would have to be one on one and based purely in idiot terminology.

I have never used a camera in manual mode in my life until I put one on a telescope. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: