• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi Im a newbee from tamworth

Guest philanza

Guest philanza

Just bought a skyliner 200p took it out in the garden last night, thought i'd take a look at the moon first, looked cool in the finder scope, but all i could see was a white blob in the Ep, found out it  would be letting in to much light and to use the end cap on with the small end cap removed. so I will try that on next clear sky. I looked up at more stars with my viewfinder but when looking through the 25 mm ep I couldn't get anything but a sort of grey polo shaped ring now and then as i slowly moved the scope around,.I have checked the collimation with a cheshire which was close to spot on, any ideas guys what i may have overlooked or what i maybe doing wrong.

Welcome, sounds like focus is out, very slowly turn the focus knob until the stars are pinpoint, you may require an extension, what eyepiece are you using?

Guest philanza

Hi sheila Hi eddy

I tried the standard 10mm and 25mm ep's that came with the scope, I don't think there's a problem I believe I should be getting some descent results with these ep's it's probably me doing a rush job to try it out on a not so clear night, I'll let you know how I get on next time, You could be right with the focus Eddy.

First of congratulations on a great first starter scope. I think Eddy has it spot on, proberbly out of focus, just slow down a bit, it really is a small differance between in/out of focus, you can get cracking shots of the moon even when it is full, if your skies were anything like ours, it was cloudy as hell last night, not the best for viewing.

Hi and welcome

Sure to be focus issues, newtonians are lovely and simple with not a lot to go wrong. If you have the chance, try it during the day on a distant object and get a feel for the focuser. Anything will do except the sun of course.

Hi Phil and a warm welcome to EMS :)

The guys are right - it sounds very much like a focus issue. 

The drawtube should move smoothly in and out when you turn the focus wheel and should be at the right tension which can be adjusted with the knurled screw in the middle underneath it.

Also - did you line up the finder accurately with main tube. Do this in daylight using the 25mm first - point at a distant object like a church spire or pylon tip - get the object central in both finder and main tube - and then repeat with the 10mm to refine accuracy. You should be able to find most stuff once that's done.

You'll have to meet us for a session sometime to see if you fancy joining the dark site group - meawhile enjoy the forum. :)

Hi and welcome.

Two things to do, align your finder and focus very slowly, sounds like you are going past the focus point.

Have fun and happy xmas.

Hi Phil, a warm welcome to EMS.

As mentioned, check the small knurled screw in the middle of the focuser block is not too tight. If it's tight, the focus wheel will move but the focus tube won't it will just sit there.

It's always the same, there are always teething problems with any bit if kit, you will soon get it sorted out and be enjoying the views. It's a cracking scope and will serve you well.

Happy Xmas and enjoy the forum.

Welcome to EMS Phil and Merry Christmas.

You will soon be focusing properly and seeing some marvellous sights with your 200p.

Welcome to the forum :)

I can't add anything to what the guys have said above apart from that I agree with what they are saying. Great scope the 200P ;)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Phil,

Welcome to EMS, the guys have it above. If your collimation is ok then it will be the focus!

But i haad the same with a 200mm newt looking at saturn , just a blob, collimation was way out..

Cheers

Welcome to the EMS.

I love my 200p its a great scope, the 25mm eyepiece is OK but the 10mm is pretty poor.

When you get the focus issue sorted you should consider some new eyepieces as they make the world of difference.

Best get along to an EMS meeting and try some other members eyepieces as not all eyepieces suit everyone.

Hi and welcome to ems, don't forget to let the scope cool down. At least 20 mins before you use it. Oh and I have just got a 200p its a great telescope, good choice :)

Hello and a warm welcome from me too. I would say 100% going to be focus related, it's very easy to miss the sweet spot. Start with the focus all the way out and gently and slowly move it inward, it'll pop into focus at some point. It'll only be in focus for a very small amount of a turn of the focus wheel, so don't go too quick or you'll miss it.