• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New focuser for my 300p dobby

Guest Ryall

Heya folks I was gifted a http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/skywatcher-dual-speed-low-profile-1252-inch-crayford-focuser.html for my 300p this year and was excitedly trying to fit it this morning! It doesn't come with an instruction manual but I thought it'd be pretty obvious how to fit it. but it doesn't seem to be a happy straight fit. I removed the old focuser including base plate and tried to fit it in with/without the standard baseplate but it just doesn't look right.

Is it meant to look awkward / leave gaps or have I gone and gotten the wrong kind of focuser for my dob?

any help would be appreciated!

Ryall

I have bought the same focuser as you for my 300P and will be fitting it tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on.

According to FLO it's a direct replacement.

Hope you have more luck than i did with the Tak and a direct fit of a new focuser  LOL

After 2 months, and lots of queries it actually now fits :)   No instructions with mine either.

I sad lack on astro equipment, none of it seems to come with instructions

Looking at the picture I would expect a small gap with this one and would be tempted to line it with flocking material. But I would deffo expect it to fit the existing holes as indicated in the advert. It'll be interesting to see how you get on with this Mick.

Guest Kheldar

As per above, gap expected (i made a layer to go under the base plate out of carbon fibre to prevent light ingress) but screw holes should align

Edited by Kheldar

Yup - good idea - Mick usually comes up with a very professional (and usually the best) solution where dobs are concerned. :)

Maybe just make a square gasket with a round hole for the focuser in it out of black foam. This will fill the gap perfectly and not need too much mucking about to fit it.

Don't forget to check the focuser is square after you have fitted it.

Dion from AstronomyShed.co.uk has done some really good tutorial vids which are both on the forum and Youtube.

Well fitted it today and all went fine, holes lined up and the focuser sat very square. I agree a little light ingress at the edges but I cut some packing and it all fitted very easy.

Ryall not sure what you did and why yours doesn't fit, if you can post up some photo's.

Here's some of mine.

img1419f.jpg

img1420t.jpg

img1421i.jpg

One for the Telrad riser and one for the wixey and dew controller.

Just needs tidying and secondary heater mod and a bit of paint.

img1423ji.jpg

Grand thank you! so no baseplate needed from the looks? I was only concerned that went fitted it didn't appear flush with the OTA. I shall take a page from your book and use the packaging around the edges. I'll fit it tomorrow and take some pics as well.

You can use the base plate but you will need longer screws.

Not tested though. It has been collimated with both sighttube and laser.

But to many clouds for testing,

Have tested it on Jupiter and being a low profile focuser I need a little extention, luckily I had one. With the extention inserted the focuser works wonderfully.

I had my first go with the new focuser last night could get any focused image out of it :( is there a specific extension tube I need to buy?

I have the 50mm one shown here:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/two-inch-focus-extension-tubes.html

But any one will do.

With your eyepiece in the focuser loosen it and withdraw it slowly until it reaches focus. If it's like mine it will be just on the lip of the focuser then measure the gap.

You do know that the foucser has it's own drawtube you pull out to aid focusing, but it's still not enough.