• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Binoculars - Late Chrissy Prez'

stovesy

So it seems that after dropping off the Christmas jumper, new bike, scalextrix and Guiness World record book (I wish !), Santa has sorted me out with a couple of hundred quid to do what I like with :)

A massive bag of penny chews is out of the question, but a nice pair of bins is on the cards.

So my questions are....

Do I need to spend hundreds of squids ? (I've seen some 20x80 for £90ish and 15x70 for £55 - Rother Valley)

How important is brand ?

Are 20x80s to large for casual observing?

Should I go for 10x50s???

I want these to primarily to get me used to the sky and to help me learn my way around some objects.

I do have a really old  (maybe 20 years) set of 10x50s which are sort of OK, but they came from Currys or Dixons so I'm guessing are a bit crappy

I do have a photo tripod which I can use.

I understand I need Porro prism with  bak-4 type optics.

Thanks.

Pete.

Hi Pete - hope you had a good Xmas :)

For your stated objective a pair of 10x50's can't be beaten for getting to know the sky. You may find your Currys/Dixons model is fine but being older I'm guessing you'll get a fair bit of CA. But you don't need to spend hundreds on a new pair - I got some coated porro prisms from Lidl for the handsome sum of £14.99 (on offer) and they are surprisingly good.

I also have a set which are a little better that cost £65 from a camera shop - again Bak4 Porros which are great. After all it's the wide fields you are after and bins are very good at that. To be honest you won't see a whole lot more in the 15x70's (I have the Celestron ones) - what they mostly do is add weight and make your arms ache - a tripod it essential to keep the view steady.

At this stage the 20x80's also require a good sturdy tripod which may cost as much as the bins themselves - but you are getting to a size where you start to get a bit more detail (eg banding on Jupiter) but they will be close to your ETX aperture without a whole lot of benefit over it.

£50-£60 on a half decent pair of 10x50's would be my advice for skimming round identifying stuff and learning the sky - that's what Sir P. allways said and he wasn't wrong. Go for the larger ones when you have more specific objectives in mind. Hth :)

Hi Pete

From experience what Kim suggests is the best way, a nice pair of 10x50s will be eay to handle, show loads of stuff and give you a good head start in learning the sky. They make excellent grab and go set ups for when you havent got time to set a scope up. As for which brand then Im sure some of the other more experienced binobusers will join in.

Hi Pete, give Nigel (DN18) a shout, he has an optics shop near the Humber Bridge and is a regular on here. I visited him a while back to change my birding scope and it's nice to go out the shop and try before you buy!!

Cheers

Ron

Hi Pete, 

The wife has some thirty odd year old Dixon brand Bins, Miranda's, if my memory still works I think Practica built their camera's and bino's for them. To be fair they are quite good, and although there is a bit of fringing, they still turn out a good view.

I have a pair of Revelation 15x70's, and I love them. They really bring out the clusters, M44 is my favourite, it's just chock full of stars.

Celestron do a similar set, I don't think there is much between them, as both are made in China. The 15x70's can be hand held if you get seated in a sun lounger with arms, or the Horizon tripod is a popular mount for them.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/horizon-8115-2-way-heavy-duty-tripod.html

Or Get a clean brush turn it upside down and rest you arms on the head, letting the handle take the weight.

Unless you can haggle it you will also need a tripod adapter, don't get a small one as they oscillate side to side, and you can imagine how annoying it is. Get a big one, and save yourself the hassle.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/binocular-accessories/l-type-binocular-tripod-adapters.html

Hope that helps.

Pete you will be surprised what a pair of 10x50's can see from dark skies. When I was at EMS1 I saw M81 and M82 with a pair of 10x42's. All of the clusters and most of the large galaxies will be viewable.

Have a look at this Pete, it will give you a good idea of what to expect.

http://www.minds.may.ie/~astro2/IFASData/IFASBinocularHandbook.pdf

If you haven't already got a Star Atlas, I would recommend the Sky and Telescope pocket Star Atlas. It is reasonably priced and packed with info, and the pages are plasticized so it doesn't go soggy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356789068&sr=8-2

Have a shop round as it can be had for a better price than this.