• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My 1st ever telescope!

catman161

After what seems like an age my Skywatcher 200p was delivered.......but I wasn't home so I grabbed the delivery card left by FedEx and zoomed to the depot. When I got there they said "sorry mate you have beaten the driver here-he won't be back till 9pm!! This was at 6:15pm!!

So I went home and calmed myself and then headed to my first meeting with Leicester Astronomy Society which I thoroughly enjoyed. I then zoomed off hen it had finished and picked up the beauty you see below!! I wish it wasn't cloudy right now!!

Oh well forecast is for clear skies Thursday and Friday night-fingers crossed!

Felix

Guest Kheldar

In my humble opinion, the BEST starter scope ever :)

As Martyn says you will be sorted with that for a good while ....

until the dark side calls :D

Ha ha thanks stephen :). It's funny in every hobby there seems to be a 'dark side'. My other (extremely expensive) hobby is skydiving. In that there are two main disciplines which are: Flat Flying (orientation whilst falling is 'belly to earth' and then there is 'The Dark Side' which is Free Flying where one can fly/fall I. Which ever orientation they choose as long as it is safe an the flyer can maintain constant stability on that position. The main positions in free flying are 'sit flying' (a though in an arm chair) and then 'Head Down' (self explanatory). I've I some great skydiving photos I could put on the non astro astro photography section if anybody was interested.

I digress! So Stephen in astronomy what is it you mean by the dark side? :)

Felix

Guest Kheldar

Ha ha thanks stephen :). It's funny in every hobby there seems to be a 'dark side'. My other (extremely expensive) hobby is skydiving. In that there are two main disciplines which are: Flat Flying (orientation whilst falling is 'belly to earth' and then there is 'The Dark Side' which is Free Flying where one can fly/fall I. Which ever orientation they choose as long as it is safe an the flyer can maintain constant stability on that position. The main positions in free flying are 'sit flying' (a though in an arm chair) and then 'Head Down' (self explanatory). I've I some great skydiving photos I could put on the non astro astro photography section if anybody was interested.

Felix

Yes I'd love to see those pics :)

The dark side is imaging, or to be more precise DSO imaging (as you can do lunar and planetary very well with a Dob.)

££££££££££ :D

Yes I'd love to see those pics

The dark side is imaging, or to be more precise DSO imaging (as you can do lunar and planetary very well with a Dob.)

££££££££££

Ahhh yes, imaging I have already been reading about that! What with my impending wedding (aka doom!) and the related costs and other financial constraints (aka skydiving!) I don't think I will ever have the funds to go down that route. It seems to be a bottomless money pit!

Felix

Nice telescope Felix, is it heavy?

It I a little heavy but not too bad. I don't think I could carry it for any significant distance,however that is more to do with how awkward it is to lift more than the weight.

Felix

Congrats on the purchase, I still love mine a year on - much easier to shift if you remove the OTA from the base!

Felix

Congratulations on a fine scope Felix.

I made a skydiving jump for my 40th birthday. Made it from langar in Nottingham and it was the best thing I've ever done, it was so exciting that I thought off taking it up as a hobby, but couldn't afford it.

Good on ya for doing a jump mate-not everyone can.

I don't blame ya for not taking it up it is expensive. I was just very fortunate at that point in my life where I was able to afford the training whilst I was travelling in Australia. I had to take a loan out to buy my own rig though as I wanted the best,and like with most things you really do pay for quality.

I've jumped at Langar before. It's actually the closest dropzone to me, however I jump at Hinton Skydiving Centre near Brackley as my regular club as the people there are less "insular" an more friendly to all. If you don't know anyone at a lot of skydiving clubs it can sometimes be a quite lonely experience. The classic "we like who we know and we know who we like" kind of thing. The complete opposite of this forum in fact :)

Felix

All I can say Felix is that you are crazy to do parachuting. ;) I hate/frightened to death of flying let alone the thought of jumping out of one of them pesky things. :)

All I can say Felix is that you are crazy to do parachuting. I hate/frightened to death of flying let alone the thought of jumping out of one of them pesky things.

Like I said above, it's not for everyone. I personally think it is the biggest natural high possible and leaves you feeling elated even hours after you have finished jumping for the day.

We all share your excitement Felix!

He's hoping for clear skies tonight.

Il drink to that Dan :) whilst looking at Pleiades and M42!

Felix, the best thing about flying for me is waiting for my suitcase. You are a brave man.

I used to work for a world famous rescue outfit and I understand you when you mention the 'rush', I used to get it on every rescue I was involved in, and boy do I miss it.

Martyn I never threw myself off the boat, I used to be in the wheelhouse manning the radio's, one of the few perks of being full time (at the time) RNLI employee.

Bryn, a friend of mine Brian Jackson used to be the Station Mechanic at Barrow.

Guest Bryndalf

I know Brian very well (Grew up with his son Greg) and have had more than my fair share of nights out with him in the local, top bloke :)

Catman161 :- I don't do sky diving, Just SCUBA diving (more exiting as there is more pressure ;)

Edited by Bryndalf

Catman161 :- I don't do sky diving, Just SCUBA diving (more exiting as there is more pressure

Ha ha! I like that :)

Congrats on your new baby - its what I want so I am a teeny bit jealous.

You'll get it soon enough I'm sure. Mine is actually the 8 inch model whereas I think you want the 10 inch Dob don't you? I must admit that if I had the extra money I would have gone for the 10 inch! Aperture is everything and all that! :). I hope you find what your looking for.

Felix