• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ashbourne Newbie

Guest Mark

Hi there,

thought I'd pop in and say hello as I've been looking for a new hobby/intersest for a while now - something to keep me away from Eastenders, Celebrity Big Brother and the one where they eat the testicles in the jungle.  :huh:

Always loved the outdoors (camping and walking), photography (Nikon D7000) and computers. Perhaps all this coupled with a love of science and the cosmos in particular might lead to some astro photography (of sorts) in the future.

I'm reading up on things before I commit to buying my first scope. Going to buy some binoculars in a little while and hope for some clear skies. I probably won't be too far away as I have a lot of information to gather and it seems like folks round here might have the answers  :)

Welcome to EMS :)

Ask all the questions you like. Pop them in the beginners section and the more experienced members will always give great advice. You sound like you're on the right track already, bins to learn the night sky and then scope once you've given it some thought.

Good to have you on board

Edited by catman161

Hi Mark and a warm welcome to EMS :)

As Felix mentions - if you have any questions we can help you with just pop up a thread in the relevant section and someone will be along with an answer soon. We also have two dark sites at Belper and Wymeswold where we frequently meet for observing, imaging, and learning from each other.

You'd be welcome to attend a meet and get a flavour of the group (which I think you'll find friendly and welcoming) no scope needed. Meantime enjoy the forum and hope to meet you soon. :)

welcome aboard Mark,

as mentioned above, pop alomg to a few meets and try peoples scopes out before you make up your mind which to buy, can save alot of time and money

Hi Mark,

Welcome to EMS!

This is the place to learn about scopes and skies, there's a lot of experience here.

Enjoy your time here. :)

Echo all the above advice, try before you buy really helps and don't be afraid to ask for a look, I have never known any EMS member say no!

Welcome to EMS, hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Mark.

Welcome to EMS, enjoy the forums. Everyone here is always friendly and helpful.

Good luck trying to choose a first scope, there are so many to chose from. An just wait for aperture fever to set in. Lolz

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome; now I just want the clouds to dissapear so I can stand out and feel the cold. See you in the beginners section where you can hopefully answer some of my initial questions.

Hi Mark, welcome to EMS.  :)   It sounds like you've chosen your new hobby well, we also like the outdoors and camping, so it also fits in with us perfectly. 

Welcome Mark, you've come to the right place, this is a great club with some very knowledgeable and helpful people. Maybe I'll see you on the battlefield some time, (us vs the clouds). Your spot on in what you've said, probably my favourite intro yet. I spend weeks sometimes months reading up on and reviewing stuff before I commit, in this business it can be expensive not to, I recently bought a HEQ5 ( computerised telescope mount) I set it up last night and I feel like a cave man with an iPhone.... An hour and a half looking at it and adjusting every thing that I can push, turn, lift and adjust and I haven't turned it on yet.... Lol. Welcome. Mark.