• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NASA wants to give the Moon a Moon!

Guest Fluke

That actually sounds very interesting on a number of levels. Sure it sounds like science fiction in many ways, but the practical implications are very interesting. Could this method be used to bring minerals etc within reach of human resources for instance? Could the method be used to harvest asteroids, then set them "free" again? If we did though, would it be "right" to do it? I think it opens a whole heap of moral and scientific questions and possibilities, as well as making me think, is it 100% safe to do it or are we asking for trouble by intentionally bringing such asteroids so "close" to Earth?

It's a good job it's not the UK thinking about it, can you imagine the HSE evaluation on that one? :lol:

$2.6 billion for a 7m chunk of rock.

Doesn't seem like value for money, but it would be a first, and they'd learn a hell of a lot in the process and do the next ones a lot cheaper.

We need the resources, but would that sort of money produce far more if invested in mining it from deep down in Siberia or Canada or wherever they could find it here on earth?

I guess it depends on what it's made of. What I was getting to though, is the idea that if we could do that and learn from it, could we then scale it up? Food for thought....

Well, we have to do something as resources are running out down here, and you have to start somewhere.

Good luck to them.

Scale it up?

An image of Mars orbiting the moon just flashed into my head :D .

I'm sure we are going to see a lot of big money proposals for finding more resources from both Earth and space, to keep us all in the manner we are accustomed.

Carl Sagan's book Pale Blue Dot talks about harnessing asteroids with all of the scientific benefits of such a task. Only spoiler was then going on to pose the question about the weapons potential of them as a projectile. I remember reading it and wondering why anybody would do it, but..........

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/lets-put-an-asteroid-into-lunar-orbit-130111.htm

In 2010, President Obama set a sky-high goal for NASA: to send a team of astronauts to visit a near-Earth asteroid (NEO) by 2025.

But rather then propelling humans on a dangerously long journey into interplanetary space, why not bring the asteroid here? This is the ultimate rock collector’s dream — plop a 500-ton space rock into orbit about the moon.