• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Meade AR5 LXD55 complete set up

philjay

Meade LXD55 AR5 EMC (5 inch) Achromatic Refractor on driven Skywatcher EQ5 Mount and HEQ5 Tripod

I am clearing some of my past project scopes and stuff, one to make room and 2 to help fund a 6" long focus refractor project Ive been toying with for some time, so this is the 1st of a couple of sales of some my gear. (No the brass scopes and 5"EDT are not amongst the sales :P )

This is a sale for a complete set up ideal for anyone from beginner to advanced level amateur astronomer

The sale includes the following:

Scope

Meade AR5 5" f9.3 Achromatic Refractor  Telescope with scope rings and dovetail bar

Skywatcher 8x30 finder scope complete with brackets

Generic 2" mirror star diagonal

Generic 1.25" mirror star diagonal

2 1.25" eyepieces (25mm Kellner and 4 mm Plossl)

1.25" Barlow Lens

Mount

Skywatcher EQ5 equatorial mount with counterweight

HEQ5 Tripod, (still boxed) only used once for observing and once for display. Tripod complete with spreader bar

Skywatcher single motor RA drive fitted to mount with control paddle and 2 battery packs

Declination flexible extension

Polar alignment scope

Scope

The telescope is a Meade LXD55 AR5 5"(127mm) achromatic refractor with a focal length of f9.3 making it ideal for lunar, planetary and double star observation, however the scope performs superbly on deep sky objects with the 5" apeture pulling in loads of faint fuzzies.

The scope is in excellent condition having been completely serviced and tested to ensure good performance. The focuser has been refurbished with new felt and works smoothly with little to no flop. The focuser has also been modified to accept 2" accessories by the fitting of a Schmidt Cassegrain screwed adapter in the draw tube. This makes the scope very versatile in that not only will accept push fit 2" and 1.25" accessories but it will accept SCT accessories such as reducers and filters directly.The focuser has also been fitted directly to the tube to prevent focuser droop which is so common with this type of scope.

The scope tube has been shortened by 1.5" to allow the use of 2" eyepieces and by using the 1.25" diagonal supplied the telescope will accept binoviewers without the requirement for a barlow lens to reach focus. This is very rare on a refractor of this size and focal length and makes this scope incredibly cersatile. The views of lunar through binoviewers in this scope are superb, giving an almost 3D image.

There are a few minor scratches and chips to the tube but these have been touched up with white paint in the scopes past and look acceptable. The objective is clean and free of chips and scratches. The scope has been collimated and star tested giving good round airy discs in and out of focus.

The plastic dew shield has one minor split in the plastic, this is small and does not extend across the shield at all and is not in a position that will propagate and cause problems, its more cosmetic than structural.

Mount

This is a 2012 Skywatcher EQ5 equatorial mount on a brand new HEQ5 stainless steel tubular tripod and is in super condition. It is fitted with a polar alignment scope and RA motor drive with hand controller and 2 battery packs. The mount package would cost new over £350.

The declination shaft has been fitted with a flexible extension to allow easy adjustment from the eyepiece end of the scope. The declination worm shaft had a slight issue, having a short extension on the opposite side from the flexible but I have machined an extension bringing it back to spec thus allowing a motor drive to be fitted in future if desired.

This is collect only due to the size and weight of the package but I would recommend anyone coming to have a look at the scope anyway as its a beauty. I am reluctantly selling to fund an equipment upgrade and I know I'm going to miss the views.

Price £400 collect or delivery possible to a meeting

No swaps or part exchange offers please folks, this is only up for sale to fund another project ( is there no end to my scope projects :rolleyes: , hope not :D )

PM me if you would like any more pics

Please note, TMB eyepiece and binoviewers are not included in this sale

Now Sold

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.