• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter 04/01/2013

oldfruit

No GRS or moon or shadow transits. Just a few cloud belts. The seeing has been better than last night and i think this shows as there is more subtle detail captured in this set of images.

Helios 8 inch newt, spc900 with sharpcap, approx 1000 frames from 1800 and stacked in registax 6.

Do you live on the top of a mountain or something?!?!?!

I've not seen anything but cloud for weeks!

Really good detail. Is that with x5 barlow ?

No imaging for me tonight just visual. GRS was lovely and clear  at 214x mag in the 12".

Paul i am currently using a Televue 3x barlow, i would love a 5x image mate but will wait for one to come along at the right price.

Have to agree though that Jupiter does look pretty spectacular through that light bucket of yours. :)

I knew you had the Televue but couldn't remember if it was x3 or x5. A friend of mine has just started imaging Jupiter with a SW200p on HEQ5 and using my spc900 but only has the SW x2 barlow.

He should get some decent images with that set up but the image will be quite small and of course it will all depend on the quality of the barlow, collimation, seeing etc etc.

You may already be aware of this but you can effectively increase the power of a barlow by using an extension on it or even an old barlow with the lens part taken off. If you slot this into the end of the barlow you are using for imaging it increases the length from the imaging barlow lens to the camera, in effect increasing the focal length, (if i have got this correct?) I use an empty barlow tube as an extension on my 3x barlow and it does increase the image size from what i get using the 3x barlow alone if that makes sense. :wacko:

Edited by oldfruit

More nice images mate.

I didn't get a chance last night before the cloud rolled in.

You've got a large barge starting to break up in the SEB at the top right of the image.

Guest Meteoriot

Nice pictures! I am just waiting for the right moment to have a go myself. I havent used the camera before or sharpcap but looking forward to it.

Any tips please or settings advice?

Thanks.

Richard

You really got this off to a tee now Mark, these are good enough to put in books, great stuff :)

very nice images, i allways struggle alittle with the focusing, but you seem to have it bang on