• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Coningsby noob saying hello.

Guest MakkaPakka1

Guest MakkaPakka1

Hi everyone! After looking up at the stars on most clear nights, and mornings with the dogs, I've decided to finally feed my curiosity and taken up stargazing.

I feel I must make the most if the large Lincolnshire skies before my employer moves me somewhere else (unless I buy a house and stay put).

Welcome to the forum :) EMS is a friendly place with a wealth of experienced stargazers who are all really helpful. If you have any questions pop up a thread in the appropriate section and people will offer advice.

Are you into "In The Night-garden"? Just asking due to your username :)

Hi Owain, welcome to EMS! You are also in the East Lincs Astro club area, I drive through Coningsby to our dark site at Gibralter Point NNR monthly. Next meet is on 12 Jan so I could give you a lift if you want?

Cheers

Ron

Guest MakkaPakka1

Hi guys thanks for the replies! MakkaPakka is a nickname that I can't seem to shake he he, even from the nippers!

I'd love to go to the event at tattershall, I have a skymaster 130 eq that I could bring. Pick up some skills, I'm slowly finding my way around. Jupiter is stunning at the moment, also found a few messier objects.

Meeting up with ELAC would be great. You meet buy wainfleet I think? A lift would be great if its not too much trouble.

Many thanks guys!

Hi Owain and welcome to the forum. There are a few of us not far from you so please feel free to join us at one of our ELAC meetings.

Guest MakkaPakka1

Nice one, all sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out for meets, and look forward to some decent dark skies. What are the usual timings for these events?

I'm originally from north Wales, but am posted here with the RAF at the moment. Anybody who wants a Welsh lesson feel free to ask, I don't speak it around here with the wife often as we are mistaken for eastern European!

Timings depend on the month, at the moment we arrive at Gib Point about 4.30pm and setup readyfor full darkness. In the Summer tends to be about 8.30pm ish.

When you have enough 'posts' give me a PM (private Message) and we can sort out pick up times etc for this Saturday.

Cheers

Ron

Hello Owain and welcome to ems, your are very welcome to come along to Gibraltar point and meet the elac crew, we are a very friendly bunch.

Hope to see you at the weekend

David

Guest MakkaPakka1

Sounds great. Ron, it'll be best for me to find my way there to be honest, as I am the only driver in our house, in case of family issues with the kids etc. Also I can be a bit flexible with my timings too Hope you don't mind, I very much appreciate and thank the offer.

I'll try be there for 5ish, and am looking forward to finding my way around the skies. I'll bring my scope with me.

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys!

No probs, don't forget a red torch or light, as no white lights allowed!

See you Saturday.

Ron

Welcome to EMS,you'll find really good advice here as I've found over the past year and Ill see you down at gib point at some point.

Hi Owain, a warm welcome to EMS.

Spring is a great time to get out with your scope, as you still have enough darkness to get the Winter objects, and as the night goes on you start getting the Spring objects rising.

You will have a great time with your fellow flatlanders and Iam sure you will find it useful.

Enjoy the forum.