• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

astro sketching

cosmic dave

I know this is swimming against the tide of astrophotography but is anyone into astronomical sketching? Its something I'm trying to get into and could do with a few pointers. I got the book a guide to astrosketching for christmas but extra advice always welcome..

Dave, check out the image gallery, there is a scetching section in there, I know Mick (doc) used to do it, as did Phil (philj) also Pat has done some lunar scetches. I'm certain others have done it as well but I'm going from memory.

Thanks, I have had a look at this I was after a little advice on getting started really, what's a good first object that sort of stuff. ;)

David

Hi Dave

I used to do quite a lot of sketching.

1. I used to draw a circle on a piece of paper

2. Plot your brightest stars first

3. Then using triangles in your mind plot the dimmer stars.

4. Then if there is an object such as M27, sketch the outer extent of the object 

5. Then sketch the core dimensions

6. Then sketch any details within the object.

7. Then place an arrow on the circle donating the direction of drift.

I used to use H2 ,HB, 2B, 4B pencils and once done I sometimes scanned them into the computer and redo them in Photoshop.

Tabitha (Carol Lakomiak) does a great monthly sketching guide in SaN, and there's also "Drawn To The Universe" in AN. You not only get tips on drawing but a suggested object and "how to" guide as well. :)

I believe Carol is also a member of SGL. You could pm her for tips if you get stuck, I'm sure she wouldn't mind?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Great Dave, another budding sketcher in our midst. I wont give any advice on a subject that I dont know much about, I only dabble but Micks advice above is spot on. Hope to see some sketches soon

Great Dave, another budding sketcher in our midst. I wont give any advice on a subject that I dont know much about, I only dabble but Micks advice above is spot on. Hope to see some sketches soon

im no artist but really fancy this, got to be cheaper than astrophotography :D