• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Potential cure for AIDS?

Craig

Definitely not astro related, but this sounds like big news. Well worth a read.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/health/view/1248293/1/.html

SYDNEY: An Australian scientist said Wednesday he had discovered how to turn the HIV virus against itself to stop it progressing to AIDS, describing it as a major breakthrough in finding a cure for the disease.

David Harrich, from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, said he had successfully modified a protein in HIV that the virus needed to replicate and instead made it "potently" inhibit virus growth.

"I have never seen anything like it. The modified protein works every time," said Harrich.

"If this research continues down its strong path, and bear in mind there are many hurdles to clear, we're looking at a cure for AIDS."

I fear the same, but I am ever the optimist. Scientists have been getting closer to defeating it for years.

Lets wait until it is peer reviewd or at least, his work duplicated by other scientists, until then, I will beleive it when I see it.

Lets wait until it is peer reviewd or at least, his work duplicated by other scientists, until then, I will beleive it when I see it.

Indeed.

I do hope it's not a foul-up of the data or measurements though...

This.