• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What lenses make sense?

Guest roblynmouth

Guest roblynmouth

I have recently acquired a Celestron 102 something or other. It comes with what I am assuming are the bog standard lenses of the lenses world?

I have figured that a Barlow 2* (or a 3*?) would be a good first purchase? But stand to be corrected. So out there in the lenses world there is obvio a better set but what?

Advise on what next to make life better for Hyapatha and I? Budget, isn't an issue, at if I can't afford them I won't be buying them, but it would be nice to know what to aim for. I would also be interested in mid-range lenses, and which companies stand out

Hi Robert,by 'lenses' you mean eyepieces (ep's), this is a vast area to explore!! My best recommendation would be to get along to the next meeting at Wymeswold and look what other members are using and why? They will let you look through them and help you decide which you likeand which is best for your scope.

Cheers

Ron

Robert,

a lot of us have got the Baarder Hyperion 8-24mm Click stop zoom EP. Baarder EPs are good  and single focal length retail for about £90 and the zoom at around £180 but when you consider it has 4 click stops with each stop not far off the performance of a single stop EP then it works out at about half the price. There are other good EP around such as Televue which come at a premium but can sometimes be found on Astro Buy Sell at a reasonable price. There are also Meade, Williams Optics etc. Keep your eye open for one of our meets at Wymeswold or Belper and come along to have a look through some before you decide to buy.

Guest Turtleboy

There's a Baader Hyperion zoom on ebay at the minute but with 3 days left to run it looks like it's not going to sell much under the price of a new one shop bought one.  :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111000303405?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Is it wrong that I want one and I don't even have my scope yet? :lol:

Edited by Turtleboy

It depends on what you plan on observing. If you want to look at planets you may want a decent barlow, if you're looking for DSO's then you may be better off with a low power wide field eyepiece.