• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY Secondary Heater for 200P

catman161

Right, the other weekend at Belper a couple of weeks ago made me realise that I need to invest in dew control. So I will be getting some things over the next month or too like dew heater strips and 4 port hub etc most probably very similar to the setup Daz has as he was kind enough to let me know dew strip sizes and other items etc. They seem to work very well for him so why go different when I know it works :) What I cannot find is a ready made secondary mirror heater for the 200P. I know some people have made their own, Martyn built a fantastic one for daz, which looked great. So what I want to do is make one too. However having no idea where to begin I thought I would ask you all :D So what do I need to get and how do I put it all together? Any advice would be gratefully received. Bear in mind that I have no clue when it comes to electronics so please bear with me and the inevitable questions-sorry. Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Brantuk

Mine which Martyn (Baz) did for me is brilliant.  I can now be out from 18:00 to 3/4:00am with no dew issues at all. No drilling, no cutting, left the OTA intact.

Yeah dew stuff can be expensive but it is one thing I no longer have to worry about, no more cutting short my observing sessions ever again!

Still annoys me that you cant buy a proper kit for the secondary on a 200P and you have to rely on some good people on here, if I was you Felix I would have a word with Martyn, the bloke is a dew heater (amongst other things) genius.

:thumbsup:

Cool. Thanks Daz. I don't wanna inconvenience Martyn, he's already been very good to me with the Baz batteries. He is a genius, you're not wrong. Have you seem the parallelogram mount he made for his binoculars? It's bloody fantastic!

Cool. Thanks Daz. I don't wanna inconvenience Martyn, he's already been very good to me with the Baz batteries. He is a genius, you're not wrong. Have you seem the parallelogram mount he made for his binoculars? It's bloody fantastic!

Seen it, I have had the pleasure of using it, just love they way you can let go and it stays put, awesome.

I still have 2 of the resistors I used (I bought 3 as I thought I would be doing it myself) which Martyn still has, I can pop round and see if he still has them, your more than welcome to them.

Awesome thanks Darren :). Maybe if I have a chat with Martyn he may be good enough to talk me through the process of how he made yours.

I do have them Darren, and as of last week, some more thin high capacity heat proof cable.

What I could do is make up the resistors so they are ready to bond to the mirror, if that would help.

I'll sort it out at the weekend as I will need to pop to Maplins and get some bits.

I do have them Darren, and as of last week, some more thin high capacity heat proof cable.

What I could do is make up the resistors so they are ready to bond to the mirror, if that would help.

I'll sort it out at the weekend as I will need to pop to Maplins and get some bits.

Hey Martyn that would be fantastic-I don't want to put you to any trouble though, like I said you do so much for people of this forum. It would be great if you could help me out though as I mentioned above I have no clue as to where to even begin. I could come over to yours if you wanted on Sunday or whenever your free and that way I could actually learn something at the same time? Let me know and we can arrange to meet up if you wanted? I could bring the secondary and spider with me. Cheers

Edited by catman161