• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Arnold in Nottingham

Guest fusebox666

Guest fusebox666

Just joined last night (SGL 21/01/2013), and came across the EMS so joined last night (22/01/2013),

so hello everybody.

I have been into stargazeing for about 40 years, but just looked and said 'one day I will get a scope'.

Anyway about a year ago I did get one, 6 inch Newtonion.

All was ok but I did notice that my friend had a 4 inch Newtonion, and he seemed to get better clear views, so I decided mine must need Collimating after about 4 months.

I bought a laser collimator, I screwed this and that, but I could never get the secondary mirror correct.

The main mirror doesn't seem to be a problem as that moves ok.

I have yet to get the red dot, as per the intructions, a little fine dot on the target in the collimator.

I then went to a star party last year, and a chap was looking at my friends with a collimating eyepiece,

he looked through my eyepiece, and said yes your secondary mirror was out of alinment.

But I have never been able to get the secondary mirror square, and then be able to get the lazer on the

target through the eyepiece?

Anyway will be going to the EMS2 Star Party, but I think I will have a new telescope by then ;)

fusebox666

(Phil)

Hi Phil and welcome to EMS!

We have meets when the weather permits and somebody here will be only too happy to help you with collimation (not me, I was crap at it! :D).

Keep an eye on the EMS Meets part of the board for info. :)

What's your favourite object to observe?

Hi Phillip, a warm welcome to EMS.

It's becoming a bit of a tradesman's gathering, Allan the plumber just joined, and now a sparky.

Where about's are you Phillip? Maybe we could  have a look for you if you are in the Notts, Derby Leic, Lincs area.

Failing that  have a look at Dions tutorial vids on collimating a newt, they are very good and should help out.

Just search youtube for following parts.

Hope that helps, any questions just post them in the beginners section and someone will be along.

Enjoy the forum.

Hi. Welcome to EMS. Your not a million miles from me, so if you are still having issues, let me know and we will see if we can sort something for you.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome to EMS :) like others have said above I you get to a meet I am site we can help get your collimation sorted.

Guest fusebox666

Hi, all, Thanks for the nice welcome, in answer to √-1 2^3 ∑ π (Craig) question, I'm into Planets more than any thing, I've seen Venus,

Mars and of course Jupiter and its big four Moons, never had much luck with the Stellar stuff due to the Collimating problems, and of course the weather :(  Have seen the ring nebula (M57) through somebody's scope, and the Sun (that was an eye opener seeing flare's) never seen M42 in Orion and would love to.

Would love to see Saturn, but I'm at work very early in a morning, so haven't the time in the mornings.

Thanks for the offers of help with the Collimating, I think I will take somebody up on that, but not at the moment till I get back from Holiday,

wish I could take the telescope to Australia?

Anyway thanks again If I don't see you before see you at EMS2

wish I could take the telescope to Australia?

Make sure you take some binoculars with you to Australia and find yourself a nice secluded spot in the outback-you will be absolutely gob smacked by the views. You'll be picking out the brighter DSO's with the naked eye and getting stunning views with the bins.

Just joined last night (SGL 21/01/2013), and came across the EMS so joined last night (22/01/2013),

so hello everybody.

I have been into stargazeing for about 40 years, but just looked and said 'one day I will get a scope'.

Anyway about a year ago I did get one, 6 inch Newtonion.

All was ok but I did notice that my friend had a 4 inch Newtonion, and he seemed to get better clear views, so I decided mine must need Collimating after about 4 months.

I bought a laser collimator, I screwed this and that, but I could never get the secondary mirror correct.

The main mirror doesn't seem to be a problem as that moves ok.

I have yet to get the red dot, as per the intructions, a little fine dot on the target in the collimator.

I then went to a star party last year, and a chap was looking at my friends with a collimating eyepiece,

he looked through my eyepiece, and said yes your secondary mirror was out of alinment.

But I have never been able to get the secondary mirror square, and then be able to get the lazer on the

target through the eyepiece?

Anyway will be going to the EMS2 Star Party, but I think I will have a new telescope by then ;)

fusebox666

(Phil)

Welcome and it will be great to see you at the starparty..