• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A Lunar newbs review of 21st Century Atlas of the Moon.

BAZ

Having received my Atlas direct from the Author, he decided to carry out the distribution of the book himself, I thought that I would share my first impressions with you.

This was the book that Doc spotted just before Christmas, and was kindly given to me as a present by Krys, ah bless,  just how did she know!

http://lpod.wikispaces.com/21st+Century+Atlas+of+the+Moon

One of the authors, Charles A Wood, has been involved with Lunar work since the 1960's,  The other author is Maurice J.S Collins, who is highly regarded for his Astronomical and Lunar work. Maurice is the technological one, working with all the data, and getting it presentable for publication. 

Charles, or Chuck has published numerous books, and has had a Lunar column in Sky and Telescope every month since 1998.

He also is the man that devised the Lunar 100.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/3308811.html

It was this amazing background that really got my interest. That and the fact the images are from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera, (LROC).  The definition of the images are outstanding and have shown the Apollo missions remnants left on the surface, along with the Astronauts footprints and Rover tyre tracks.

The Atlas is roughly the size of the S@N magazine, spiral bound and 111 pages cover to cover.

I think the pages are plasticised, similar to the Pocket Star Atlas, and Iam awaiting confirmation from the author that this is correct. If it is, then this is a very useful addition to my observing gear, as it can (may) be used outside next to the scope.

The Atlas is laid out in a very straight forward and sensible manner, beginning with an introduction about the Moon, and the features that can be found there. The Atlas then commences to lead you round the surface of the Moon in clearly demarcated area's. Firstly with a full sized image of the Moon, which has been  divided into 28 segments. These are indexed along the top and sides of the photo's, so that a basic letter and number co-ordinate can easily lead you to a feature that is being discussed.

The features that are of interest are shown on the left hand page, with a large scale image of the whole area on the right. With this are details of any of the Lunar 100 objects, again with co-ordinates and Lunar crater designations. (A system co-devised by the author).

Charles and Maurice have done a good job of making the Lunar surface available to the back yard observer. It is a simple to use, but a concise work, which is easy to navigate and use.

There is a lot of further information, showing the limb detail and a four segment image of the far side, which is shown, but not really gone into detail over. This is simply because you are never likely to see it. The various Moon missions, both manned and robotic sites are marked as well, some of them in quite rugged terrain.

All in all, a useful, but not over crowded book, that has all the information you need to keep you happy for good while whilst exploring our Moon.

Great write up Martyn :)

Really useful read. Sounds like a very good book. I wouldn't mind a look over t a meet if that's ok? I am not a lunar despiser as some people are. I quite like looking at the moon. I just need more guidance on what it is that I am looking at-sounds like this book is just the ticket.