• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

obsy electrics.... Help needed

red dwalf

i know alittle about electrics but when it comes to adding some serious electrics outside i`m not too sure, so if there`s any one that can help with my plans. 

in the house i have a modern rcb consumer unit with a 2.5mm armoured cable that is on it`s own circuit which is 16amp and goes to the garage which is about 15 feet away, 

my plan is to use the plug in the garage and a caravan extension lead to another ip65 consumer unit in the obsy which again has a rcb and 6 amp and 16 amp circuits, one for a ring main in the obsy and one for the lighting circuit.

heres a plan of the idea but would this be ok ?

or would i be ok with just a radial mains circuit with 4 double sockets on and a fused spur circuit for the lights ?

any help please.

Edited by red dwalf

Looks OK to me, but don't forget the light switches!

Mine is similar but added electrics in the shed next to obsy as well.

Edited by Ron Clarke

cheers Ron, would a radial circuit be just as good ? or should i go for a ring circuit ?

also do i need a consumer unit putting in the obsy, can i do without one ? and maybe a rcb plug in unit used in the garage

Edited by red dwalf

Still going for the consumer box then Rob?

again thanks for today :lol:   helped a lot and I do have the Philips web cam as mentioned what was that web site you said for the attachment?

Love the Observatory too , wife says she'll make me into a sliding roof if I try anything like that with our summer house :wacko: 

I haven't got one in the osby Rob, just on the input box which is attatched to the conservatory. Ring main is always the best route I think!

Ron

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Rob,

My only concern would be the supply to the obsy. Internals in the obsy look fine, distributing from a consumer unit. But to deliver 8 sockets and the lighting from another plug on an extension in  the garage... It would be safer delivering via some swa from the consumer unit.

cheers

ps

Have two extra consmer units one into the conservatory and one to the summerhouse. Both delivered from consumer unit in the house. I believe you should only have one rcb, as there should also be one in the main consumer unit. There would be divorce if i roro'd the summerhouse as it has a hot tub in it!

Edited by Tweedledum

thanks Damian, ideally i would go stright into the consumer unit in the house but as usual it `s a bit of a job and a half to get into it from the outside and concrete floors would mean running a cable down the side of the house which i don`t fancy, not sure how much load a radial circuit can carry, i think i remember it depends on the length of the circuit.

Still going for the consumer box then Rob?

again thanks for today :lol:   helped a lot and I do have the Philips web cam as mentioned what was that web site you said for the attachment?

Love the Observatory too , wife says she'll make me into a sliding roof if I try anything like that with our summer house :wacko: 

put a quote in there Allan,

not 100% set on the consumer unit, i`ve got another two plans i`m drawing up, easiest being an extension cable just thrown in.

i`ll post my other options in a minute.

in your summer house have you got a radial or ring main circuit ? this might be my easiest option.

no worries for earlier enjoyed someone to talk astro with, welcome anytime.

attachments for the philips webcams are ebay, i`m sure flo do them but no prices on website, don`t think they are much and are made by billet parts who also have a website, also Morgan computers sell them.

if your buying from First light might give them a shout, just make sure you webcam is either a spc 880 or a spc 900

more options :-

option 1.... extension reel

option 2 .... Radial circuit

option 3.... Ring main circuit

Sorry Rob was trying to do an attachment to show you what my electrial hook up is

cant get it to work

I think it would classed as radial as power comes in from house into sockets and runs between each socket and then finally back to socket it entered on these in turn are Earth via a metal spike in the ground and I have the power pluged into a water proff socket attached to house I have run over 2KW off this in 2 yrs nothing has triped.

Rob, similar here to Allen, I have an external socket on the conservatory and plug fitted full time, wire down some ducting straight into my shed to an RC then obsy run off from that.

Ron 

If you are plugging into a socket with an extension lead you will probably have a 12Amp fuse in the plug.

Have you totted up what the maximum current is you could draw with everything on? If you are going to be boiling a kettle while you have a 2kW fan heater on, you may be pushing it with an extension lead!

(nb. Make sure the extension lead is totally unrolled from the spool!)

I'd personally just daisy chain a series of 4 or 6 socket extension leads around the shed and run everything, including lighting, off them. (Much cheaper and more flexible than buying individual twin sockets and plastic boxes and they usually have screw-head holes on the back for wall mounting. Then a run of decent outdoor cable with a rcd plug head on it from the first to reach into the garage - same as a Flymo!

Edited by Steve

Guest Tweedledum

Rob,

False economy, get an electrician to set this up properly, at least the run to the obsy. You have expensive astro kit, and risking your house cabling if it goes wrong. Daisy chaining extensions is not the way..

Cheers

A new member called Fusebox666  might be able to help, just a guess, but I think his name gives it away.

I don't know if he can be pm'ed yet though Rob.

electrics now sorted, got to work yesterday and realised that a guy i`ve worked with for the last 10 years is a qualified electrician,

plied him with tea and bisciuts and he`s sorted the ideas i had out.