• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stellarium data for Comets ISON & C\2012 PANSTARRS

Guest Tweedledum

Damian/Felix,

I'm having exactly the same problem as Pete but in XP. I've searched high and low and can't find the second ssystem.ini file

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dave,

Its definitely there  !!!..

You neeed to cut & paste into the stellarium ssystem.ini files.

1.Using windows explorer locate

c:\documents and settings\<your username>\application data\stellarium\data

2. open ssystem.ini with wordpad. Copy script file above and paste into the ssystem.ini file. Each object begins in square brackets, so insert beore a new object starts.

3. Save the edited file. Copy the new file to c:\program files\stellarium\data..

If you have difficulties drop me a pm with your e-mail addr  and then send me the ini file and I wll edit. If you have located the folders just put the new ssystem.ini files into each. If you cannot find the folder you may need to ensure you can 'see' all the folders from the root directory.

Have xp and w7 here, works in both.

Cheers

I give up!!

Got some instructions from someone on the Stellarium forum, then spent over 2 hours of trial and error tonight and eventually got one of the comets to show in Stellarium after using solar system editor and downloading a file. But now after shutting down Stellarium and starting it again, a search doesn't find it anymore! :o

I then found not two, but three ssystem.ini files and copied the data into all three, but that made no difference at all. Checked the procedure several times but still no joy.

Surely it shouldn't be this complicated. :headbang:

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Its definitely there  !!!..

You neeed to cut & paste into the stellarium ssystem.ini files.

1.Using windows explorer locate

c:\documents and settings\<your username>\application data\stellarium\data

2. open ssystem.ini with wordpad. Copy script file above and paste into the ssystem.ini file. Each object begins in square brackets, so insert beore a new object starts.

3. Save the edited file. Copy the new file to c:\program files\stellarium\data..

If you have difficulties drop me a pm with your e-mail addr  and then send me the ini file and I wll edit. If you have located the folders just put the new ssystem.ini files into each. If you cannot find the folder you may need to ensure you can 'see' all the folders from the root directory.

Have xp and w7 here, works in both.

Cheers

I'm afraid I fail at the first hurdle here:

I'm using Windows 7 and Windows Explorer within it....

I cannot find a folder or file called "documents and settings". I'm not exactly a dummy with PCs (my humble opinion) I bought my first PC in 1986. This documents and settings sounds very XP or Win 95 to me.

I only have one ssytem.ini file, which I've edited as told which is in Program Files > Stellarium > data

Perhaps I've confused wordpad and notepad in editting it?

Anyway, my attempt failed so I'm hoping the sourceforge website will have a "for dummies" download ;O)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Ian,

W7 has a folder called documents and settings in the root directory, you probably wont be able to access it though. You will note above that the response was to Dave with XP.

If you have a look at my content I have put a method for updating via the MPC here :-- http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/4168-stellarium-updates-for-asteroids-comets/

Cheers

Guest Kenik

Hi Damian,

I'm having trouble with this.

I put the text in ssystem.ini in the data folder but searches don't come up with any other folder with a ssystem.ini file.

I tried searching for ISON and PANSTARRS within Stellarium but it says "Simbad lookup: Not found".

Any ideas?

Cheers, Pete.

Your file is in ~/.stellarium/data/ssystem.ini and /usr/share/stellarium/data/ssystem.ini ( this need root access)

What version do you have? I have problem with blank lines just one! ANd with verison 0.11.

After upgrade to 0.12 work simple using /settings/ ..

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/113971-adding-comets-asteroids-and-small-bodies-to-stellarium/

Try upgrade:

https://launchpad.net/~stellarium/+archive/stellarium-releases

ANd then works fine:

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Vasek,

Welcome to EMS, Pete is ok now, and has version 12.

I have had no issues with blank lines in the ssystem.ini files, also you can update via the mpc this way...

You can use the configuration utility within Stellarium to update the comet & asteroid files from the Minor Planets Centre.

To do this

1. Launch Stellarium.

2. Click on configuration window (F2)

3. Click on Plugins.

4. Select solar system editor.

5. Click on configure.

6. Click Solar system.

7. Click import orbital elements in MPC format.

8. Select Asteroids / Comets.

9. Click on select bookmark

10 Click get orbital elements..

Sorted...

Cheers