• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Inegrated flux nebula

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

Not been about for a while...ive just had too much going on.....ive been working on this a while added to my old data and processed on a new computer....still trying to get my head around windows 8....combined using SD Mask method. 

40x600sec in luminance 4x600s in Red, 4x420s in Green and 4x530s in Blue, 9x600s in H-alpha. M81 and M82 showing the faint integrated flux also known as galactic cirrus....I need to grab more for this one I have plans of getting more colour to see if I can pull out the colour in the flux....it might take a while.

Thanks for looking

Peter :)

here is a slightly bigger version http://www.astropix.co.uk/ps/pages/a0999.htm

Edited by peter shah

What an incredibly detailed image.

We are seeing the galaxies through a veil of dust in our own galaxy.

Does the H-alpha bring out the flux nebulae?

Eddy, I found several other small galaxies in that image...

Bottom right is UGC5210 mag 15.6

Right middle ?? Can't find that one.

Just left of M81 is UGC5336 mag 14.6 irregular dwarf galaxy

Just up and left of that is KUG 0955+694 mag 15.5

To the right of M82 is NPM1G+69.0071 mag 15.9

If I manage to pick my jaw up off the floor I'll say words that cannot be repeated here. Suffice to say that sir, is gob smackingly good.

Guest peter shah

Many thanks for all your comments.......Peter the flux doesnt respond well to the H-alpha, its better in the Luminance, the H-alpha frames help bring out the pink H2 regions in the galaxies... but strictly speaking due to redshift H-alpha in objects outside the milky way isnt always at 656nm, so results when imaging other galaxies can vary in H-alpha

Very interesting, thanks Peter.

Knowing nothing about imaging, it never occurred to me that redshift might affect what the filter picks up. But thinking logically, the further away these things are, the more pronounced the colour shift should be.

I have previously seen images of flux nebula, but mostly in monochrome. So if you do manage to get more colour, that will be fantastic. You have over 3 hours of data already!

Guest peter shah
Very interesting, thanks Peter.

Knowing nothing about imaging, it never occurred to me that redshift might affect what the filter picks up. But thinking logically, the further away these things are, the more pronounced the colour shift should be.

I have previously seen images of flux nebula, but mostly in monochrome. So if you do manage to get more colour, that will be fantastic. You have over 3 hours of data already!

to be honest though peter the galaxies im imaging are generally the closer ones, plus the fact my H-alpha filter isnt that narrow at 10nm so ive yet to find a galaxy i cant pick out H2 regions.

Im not sure how much colur i will be able to pull out of the flux if any.........even if i cant it will still help with boosting the signal, either way it will be a lesson.

Thanks again everyone