• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moonlite for megrez 72

Guest Eddy

Just wondering if its worth me getting a moonlite as its quite a bit more than I paid for the scope.

I'm also wondering whether its really going to make a big difference given its going to probably have to be fully extended to gain focus(although I may also get the VI 0.8x reducer/flattener so focus could draw in again) and possibly flex a bit even though I know moonlites shouldn't flex given the quality.

Cheers

I would not change my focuser, it's very fine and balanced. I use a WO 80mm extention tube with DSLR and only need a small amount from the Meg focuser to get in focus.

Cheers

Ron

Guest Kheldar

You would be better served with a decent mount ;)

However after that, yes replace the focuser - you will take the Moonlite to any scope you use

Make sure the VI works as you expect with the 72, it's a bit tricky (for some) to get a flattener/reducer working correctly with that scope

Does that mean you're finished with my flattener Eddy? lol :)

If I was you I'd wait till you get a bigger better refractor rather than upgrade the focuser to Moonlight which'll cost more than the Meg itself. Or as suggested above - invest in  a mount or something more essential. I doubt a focuser upgrade would add that much benefit to an entry level imaging scope - better to master the use of a bahtinov mask (for less than £20). Just my humble opinion :)

Oh the best flattener/reducer is probably the TV TRF 2008 - there's one for sale on SGL about £180 I think.

Guest Kheldar

D

Oh the best flattener/reducer is probably the TV TRF 2008 - there's one for sale on SGL about £180 I think.

Seconded, thirded and fourthed :D

I was thinking of the focuser after a new mount if I have some spare cash.

Kim to tell the truth ive still not used it :lol: as I used the atik and that doesnt need a flattener, the new VI one is designed for zs66, meg 72 and similar f6 scopes.

Guest Kheldar

I was thinking of the focuser after a new mount if I have some spare cash.

Kim to tell the truth ive still not used it :lol: as I used the atik and that doesnt need a flattener, the new VI one is designed for zs66, meg 72 and similar f6 scopes.

Designed for and works for are a million miles apart on occasion when it comes to flatteners / reducers - always worth checking out first :)

Eddy, the Moonlite is a great focuser and a focuser for life and is an investment.

I have one on my Meade 127 and worth every penny.

The thing with these focusers is yes they are a lot of money but if you intend to stay with refractors, fit it to your Megrez,but keep the WO focuser in storage. Then when you upgrade the scope fit the WO focuser back on the megrez, sell i,t then just get an adapter from Moonlite for the new scope. 

Dont go buying a moonlite for the new scope, you dont need to as you already have one.

Guest Kheldar

Eddy, the Moonlite is a great focuser and a focuser for life and is an investment.

I have one on my Meade 127 and worth every penny.

The thing with these focusers is yes they are a lot of money but if you intend to stay with refractors, fit it to your Megrez,but keep the WO focuser in storage. Then when you upgrade the scope fit the WO focuser back on the megrez, sell i,t then just get an adapter from Moonlite for the new scope. 

Dont go buying a moonlite for the new scope, you dont need to as you already have one.

:thumbsup: