• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tonights effort 13-1-12.

Daz Type-R

Well, only managed 2.5 hrs before I got frosted out and dewed up!

Still trying to get to grips where things are, but managed to get in M45, M42, Jupiter, Mars (just) and the moon. Tried for the rosetta nebula but don't think I have the correct filter, will check out a guide somebody posted today for filters and what you can see with each.

Also had a stab at M51 as I would love to see that but what with dew, the moon and standard Skywatcher ep's I think I was on to a loseing battle.

Quick question, as I mentioned above, I got so dewed out the Telrad and finderscope were useless, and the secondary was getting quite bad at this point, but I noticed a thin layer of frost on the outside of the OTA and on the inner lip of the OTA just up to the spider veins, is this a concern?

The scope is back inside and I have it pointing downwards in case any moisture forms then it will flow out the OTA, is there anything else I should be doing?

Cheers guys and gals.

Daz.

A dew shield will help keep the secondary clear whist at the same time reducing stray light entering the tube. You can put one on the finder too - but the ultimate solution is a dew heater system - you can get dew bands for any size. I keep the next eyepiece I intend to use warm in a pocket for five mins first. A hair dryer can help too if there's any build up - just keep it on low heat and whisk it round the tube (not directly on mirrors that may crack). If the dew gets very heavy then unfortunately it can be a losing battle.

I wouldn't be too worried about the dew, good idea to point it down but as mentioned a good blast with the hairdryer will be fine, also use it when observing, I had my dryer out twice the other night, kept dew off for a good while

One night last year myself and Martyn were down the Sawley site and it must have been -10 and you shouls have seen the ice on our dobs it was about 5mm thick and it didn't harm our telescopes.

That night was a bit extreme, it just killed my battery, which at the time was a cheap power pack.

It made the car seat wet when the scope thawed out on the way home.

I've tried for the rosette neb with no success, I think it needs serious aperture and a filter to see owt. The star pattern at it's centre is easy to find though.