• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi from Horncastle

Guest CB53KLB

Guest CB53KLB

Hello everyone!

Have been looking at this site for a few months now, finally plucked up the courage to join! ;)

Went to the ELAC meeting last month, and met some really nice people. Santa was very kind and delivered me a Sky-Watcher Skymax 127, which I am slowly getting to grips with.

I have always been fascinated by the universe since O'Level Physics and seeing Halleys Comet in 1986, but like all things family and work have come first, now I have a bit more time for myself, I'll be living the dream!!  :thumbsup:

Have already read some of the great advice on here and hopefully someone will be able to help me with any queries I may have that haven't already been answered in previous posts.

Thanks for having me!!

Welcome to EMS clare.

I see from your picture that you are looking forward to the big collision in 4 billion years  :) .

Hi Clare and welcome to the forum. I am one of the ELAC guys that was at the last meet and was the one imaging Jupiter, you may or may not remember. Hope you are able to join us for our next meeting this week on Saturday 9th Feb.

Guest CB53KLB

Hi

Yes we are planning to come to Gibraltar Point on Sat night, forecast doesn't look great though :sad2: Am going to bring my scope this time! We have also booked for the Star Party at Anderby in Sept!

Thanks for the welcomes.

Hi Clare, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a good scope to be going on with, and great on Planets and the Moon. 

Don't forget to let it cool down for an hour or so, or you will get scooby-doo vision, caused by air currents within the tube. After that it will be belting.

Enjoy the forum and see you at EMS2.

Hi Clare and welcome to EMS! :)

No courage needed here, just an innate curiosity about the skies above you. That scope will certainly start you on your way!

Hi Clare and welcome to EMS, I was also at Gib Point when you visited, photographing the Orion Nebula!

Hi

Yes we are planning to come to Gibraltar Point on Sat night, forecast doesn't look great though :sad2: Am going to bring my scope this time! We have also booked for the Star Party at Anderby in Sept!

Thanks for the welcomes.

Hi clare, don't trust the forecasts. Wasn't bad tonight was it ;)

Guest CB53KLB

Hi All

Weather wasn't too bad last night, my feet have just about thawed out! Would like to thank Ron for trying to help me out, and believe me I think I was very trying!! (missed him before he left) Had a few issues with dew, and the synscan didn't seem to want to play even with new batteries, so now need a power pack, dew guard, red dot finder scope!

Thanks again for all the welcomes, Clare.

Hi Clare, don't forget : Battery , Red Dot Finder (RDF) and a dewshield! That's just the start!! Hope you get to grips with that Goto, check it online!

Cheers

Ron

Guest CB53KLB

Have now ordered camping mat, velcro to make dew guard, RDF & a jumpstarter so hopefully (if everything comes in time) we shall be at Gibraltar Point for Moonwatch on Sat night :D.

:( Not going out for Valentines night meal anymore as Hubby says I've has enough with all that lot now! 

Just need to plug synscan into computer to check everythings ok (that will be an adventure on its own), but I'm sure as Ron suggested it must have been the batteries + cold night :brr: