• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Humour Me.........

catman161

Hi everyone,

So I am thinking about setting my self a "savings goal" for good eyepieces. Now with my current setup in mind what would you more experienced astronomers recommend if I were to get say 4 good eyepieces? Feel free to recommend anything regardless of price as it is theoretical at present :)

So nobody thinks the 31mm nagler a contender? I was thinking the ethos ones would be great.

The two classics I know of are WO 28mm Uwan and TV Ethos 13mm.

For lower power a 35mm Panoptic or 31mm Nagler would make a nice complement, and something mid range like a Nagler around 21mm. For higher mags you've got the Powermate which works really well with the 13mm Ethos, but something around 8mm (perhaps Ethos) would be nice too. Have a try with my 9mm Nagler next time we're out and see what you think. :)

The two classics I know of are WO 28mm Uwan and TV Ethos 13mm.

For lower power a 35mm Panoptic or 31mm Nagler would make a nice complement, and something mid range like a Nagler around 21mm. For higher mags you've got the Powermate which works really well with the 13mm Ethos, but something around 8mm (perhaps Ethos) would be nice too. Have a try with my 9mm Nagler next time we're out and see what you think. :)

Yeah I was thinking about the panoptics too. Thanks Kim :) I am planning ahead for around this time next year hopefully. If I set myself a target it'll make me more disciplined. I was thinking perhaps about eventually getting a 250PDS also-will the NEQ6 handle that kind of weight with big eyepieces hanging off it etc?

I've used a 250pds on NEQ6 along with a 24mm Nagler and it's a fabulous observing setup. The mount will handle the scope but needs a hooked up and regulated supply (or a marine pack or baz battery). What you need most though is a dead calm night - it's a massive sail in even the slightest breeze and vibration will be the big problem. For that reason I wouldn't want to try imaging with it. :)

Thanks Kim, I am more a visual astronomer really. I would much rather spend money on good glass than cameras anyway.

Lots of excellent recommendations above, but I'd go with Ethos or Nagler.

For your widest field on the 200p, one of the following will give a big WOW factor to your observing...

31mm 82 degree Nagler = 33x with a 2.50 degree field.

21mm 100 degree Ethos = 48x with a 2.07 degree field.

Also consider this one, but only available from the US.

25mm 100 degree Explore Scientific = 41x with a 2.46 degree field.

http://www.eyepiecesetc.com/EXPLORE_SCIENTIFIC_25MM_100_WATERPROOF_EYEPIECE_p/2101250.htm

Borrow some at a meet and see what you like best. They are all a lot of money.

If you need a high power ep for planets or double stars, think whether you really need the extra expense of an ultra wide field eyepiece. Also as said above, a PowerMate will extend the use of all your eps and you won't need to buy so many.

If I had about several thousand pounds burning a hole in my pocket I'd get these two exotic eyepieces... :)

http://www.eyepiecesetc.com/EXPLORE_SCIENTIFIC_9MM_120_WATERPROOF_EYEPIECE_p/2102090.htm

http://www.ceoptics.com/index.html

Thanks Pete. Those Collins electric eyepieces look interesting!

Go on Felix. Only $2995 without the accessories. You can give us a first light report on this eyepiece :)

Go on Felix. Only $2995 without the accessories. You can give us a first light report on this eyepiece :)

Lol! Probably (if anything) will realistically look at Televue/UWAN'S if I can be disciplined enough to save!

You're probably looking at £1k - £1200 for 4 or 5 assorted pieces second hand. You can easily double that if you go brand new. :)

Looking at 4 ethos of varying FL I priced it at £3200 Kim if I went new!The WO UWAN are more affordable but are they as good? I certainly don't know yet. Will have to look more through yours and micks eyepieces ;)

Edited by catman161

Go s/h Felix - these are such good eyepieces that folks tend to keep them in pristine condition - so you loose next to nothing in quality but gain so much in savings.

A 13mm Ethos should cost around £300-£350 as a rough guide. Naglers and Panoptics just under £200 give or take a bit and Radians circa £100. Dunno about Delos - not seen any for sale s/h yet. Also check Telescope House for 10% off new prices and/or 3 for 2 offers usually at bank hols. You'll have to ask Mick about Uwans - I don't have any - but his 28mm is pretty close to TV quality - differences are  barely discernable. Star Parties are also a good place to get good offers - couple of percent off new stuff but there's always a concentration of s/h stuff to tempt you lol

I'd start saving and snap up good offers as and when they come up and as budget allows. That was what I did and as a result I got a crazy reputation - everyone saw their object as beating me to get the first offer in lol. But they all hesitated with the prices whereas I went straight in for it within seconds of an advert appearing. Always be careful to check if it's a 1.25" or 2" piece cos there's a price difference.

The good thing is TV stuff is so reliable you can pretty much guarantee you won't be buying a dud. (which only happens in exceptional cases). :)

(of course you can try any of mine when we meet up)

Looking at 4 ethos of varying FL I priced it at £3200 Kim if I went new!The WO UWAN are more affordable but are they as good? I certainly don't know yet. Will have to look more through yours and micks eyepieces ;)

I would say the 28mm Uwan is the best of the WO line and is on par with the Televue Naglers. The rest of the line up I don't think are as good as the other Naglers.

The Ethos line up is better I'm sure.

As I said before the Ultimate eyepiece collection would be:

21E, 13E, 8E, 3.7E

or

31N, 17E, 10E, 6E

Go s/h Felix - these are such good eyepieces that folks tend to keep them in pristine condition - so you loose next to nothing in quality but gain so much in savings.

A 13mm Ethos should cost around £300-£350 as a rough guide. Naglers and Panoptics just under £200 give or take a bit and Radians circa £100. Dunno about Delos - not seen any for sale s/h yet. Also check Telescope House for 10% off new prices and/or 3 for 2 offers usually at bank hols. You'll have to ask Mick about Uwans - I don't have any - but his 28mm is pretty close to TV quality - differences are barely discernable. Star Parties are also a good place to get good offers - couple of percent off new stuff but there's always a concentration of s/h stuff to tempt you lol

I'd start saving and snap up good offers as and when they come up and as budget allows. That was what I did and as a result I got a crazy reputation - everyone saw their object as beating me to get the first offer in lol. But they all hesitated with the prices whereas I went straight in for it within seconds of an advert appearing. Always be careful to check if it's a 1.25" or 2" piece cos there's a price difference.

The good thing is TV stuff is so reliable you can pretty much guarantee you won't be buying a dud. (which only happens in exceptional cases). :)

(of course you can try any of mine when we meet up)

Thanks Kim. Yeah you're right second hand is the most logical way to go. Thanks for offer of looking through yours Ill definitely be taking you up on that :)

Have used a 31mm Nagler on a 250p and M45 filled the eyepiece, cracking view.

Having said that other TV's and Celestron X-cel's haven't agreed with my eyes at all.

For the sums of money involved make sure you try them first.

I am more an imager so I have a set of Vixen NPL's which are great budget eyepieces as I like to do visual on everything I image.

Vixen NLV's are suppose to be excellent at £115-£198 each.

The best eyepiece I have used has to be Pentax XW's.

Edited by andyboy1970

My favourite eyepiece recently has been my 22mm Nagler type 4, I use it for wonderful wide field views with my f5.95 refractor. I bought this new as my first Nagler but I'm wanting to now fill my eyepiece box with black and green so I'm trawling the second hand market. I think you can take a punt on a second hand Nagler if its in tip top condition, if it doesn't suit you or your scope you should be able to move it on without losing much, if anything.