• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astrophtography

Guest roblynmouth

Guest roblynmouth

I have a Cannon EOS350D [called a Rebel in the us], and as i have a barlow with the T bit and a ring for the body of the Camera to connect to the Scope [Celestron Nextstar 120GT]. Is there any help somewhere, where i can use the one with the other to take some photographs, and make the shots in focus etc as well as tell me what else i need to know?

Hi Robert,

Pat's hit the nail on the head with that one, AP is a massive learning curve which requires time, patients, time, numerous computer programs, time, patients and cash. (did I mention time and patients??? )

I think you would be best to pop along to the workshop if you can, I believe they are starting from the start (logical) with regards to mount set-up, polar align etc, through to exposure time, stacking, tweaking, curves, lights, dark's, flats, LRGB etc etc.

Unless you have a very specific question, the "how do I do this" and "what else is there that I need to know" are, in my opinion, to broad a question to answer in any great depth on a forum.

I myself do not do astro photography, so somebody may be along shortly who will take on your question.

Hi Rob - I'd recommend a good read of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards. It's got everything covered from equipment and connecting it all up, to imaging technique, stacking, and final processing. It's really easy to follow and well presented and laid out for everyone from novice to experienced. I'd be happy to give you an intro and show you some of the gear and software - feel free to pm me and we can arrange a meeting. Even better come to the workshop on Sat week. :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

I'd start simple. Lay your camera on its back and expose for 30 secs. You'll get loads of stars near the zenith. I do this with a compact digital camera with only 8 seconds exposure. Put it on a camera tripod an aim it at constellations. Get GIMP for free and start playing.

i`m new to the dlsr imaging thing also Rob, i bit the bullet and got a 1100d which has the live view which helps with focusing, apart from that i have little knowledge but hopefully i will be attending the imaging workshop on the 23rd, steve richards book is a good read as mentioned above.

Guest Ely Ellis

Although long exposures are probably not possible, there are short exposure targets.

The moon is the obvious one, you should get some good shots of that when it appears.

There are also double stars, which I am a fan of. Exposure times for these can range from about 1/10th second up to about 8 seconds.

Martin

Although long exposures are probably not possible, there are short exposure targets.

The moon is the obvious one, you should get some good shots of that when it appears.

There are also double stars, which I am a fan of. Exposure times for these can range from about 1/10th second up to about 8 seconds.

Martin

I've had some success with webcamming double stars.

Guest Ely Ellis

A lot of people say that it is best to use a webcam for double stars, I did try it but results were not so good for me.

I had better but limited success with live view capture (planetary option) on Backyard EOS, which uses the DSLR live view to record video and then it can be stacked after.

Now I use a range of exposures such as 8s, 4s, 2s, 1s, 1/2s, 1/4s and 1/10 second, taking about 4 shots at each speed. I then just pick the best ones out the bunch. Very quick and easy to set up with either Backyard EOS or APT.

I have a Trust and an SPC. Ideally, I'd like a QHY or Imaging Source one but I'll have to wait until I can get one second hand in a few years.

I now have my first DSLR - second-hand of course, thanks to contributions from several family members.

Get a decent cam low budget ones are noisy