• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Danger Of Using Eyepiece Solar Filters

Guest Tweedledum

I sent a link of this video to the Ebay seller of such a filter.

Hoping they have a conscience.

Regards.

Every vintage and classic scope Ive had thats had these I have thrown the filters away. Very dangerous things, never used to use them as a kid on my tasco and prinz I always took sir PMs advice and used projection. 

Timely warning, lots of interest in solar observation since the last Sky at Night, Nigel at Northern Optics told me he has had a surge in sales of Baader Solar film since the program.

Every vintage and classic scope Ive had thats had these I have thrown the filters away. Very dangerous things, never used to use them as a kid on my tasco and prinz I always took sir PMs advice and used projection. 

I've never used them either and don't even look through Baader Solar film only image through it as i'm quite attached to my eyes.

I've never used them either and don't even look through Baader Solar film only image through it as i'm quite attached to my eyes.

I've been using Baader filters for 12 years and I can still type.

Crackling video there Damian.

Moving this to the Information & Announcements area and applying the sticky glue. Safety should be paramount so this helps spread the word.

Hi Paul,

Did you ever get a reply??. This should probably be a sticky somewhere in the advice section.

Cheers

Not a thing, Damian.

I guess the £4, or whatever they generate, is more important.

Regards.

Edited by Antares_Paul