• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First try of the Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm.

oldfruit

There have been some breaks in the clouds tonight so i thought i should try the new "beast" of an eyepiece. First impressions last, or so they say but after tonight i am a believer.

I popped the Nirvana 28mm in the 12 inch dob tonight and thought that i would have a scan around between the clouds. The double cluster was phenomenal, i kid you not! both clusters well within the field of view and so much more to view around the outside of the clusters. Whilst there is an obvious field stop on these eyepieces the wider field of view is something else.

I turned the scope to M45 and could fit the whole cluster comfortably in the fov, something i have never done before, what a lovely sight and also some hints of the nebulosity were apperent tonight.  

M42 was an obvoius choice and again i was amazed at how much aditional sky was visible around this great nebula, even the area where the running man nebula resides was well within the fov.

M1 looked like a faint smudge lost in an imense sea of stars and sky but was very easily seen.

My initial impresions of this eyepiece, limited as they have been by the cloud tonight, is that the 82 degree field of view is almost like a re-introduction to astronomy. This may sound daft but really, that is how i feel after seeing the views through this eyepiece. Everything looks different, has new perspective. I am sure that members with similar eyepieces will understand what i mean.

I am really looking forward to a clear night when i can really put the new eyepieces through their paces. Whilst i have really enjoyed astronomy before using my collection of BST eyepieces i do almost feel like i have been missing out on the action. I think, for me at least, that my hobby is about to become so much more interesting and engaging, plus i hope that others will feel the pull of the ultra wide angle eyepieces when they next have a look through my scope.

I should also point out that this is my first proper brand new eyepiece  and i have also ordered the 16mm, shortly to be followed by the 7mm, So forgive me if it sounds a little over the top but i am really happy with this purchase and feel that this direction will enable me to get the best from my scope.

Clear skies,

Mark.

Edited by oldfruit

Good report Mark, look forward to next month's Gib Point meeting to have a look!!

I also managed an hour with the new Luminos 10mm, I agree with you  82' is awesome!

Particularly good on the Moon as well!

Cheers

Ron

Good report Mark, look forward to next month's Gib Point meeting to have a look!!

I also managed an hour with the new Luminos 10mm, I agree with you  82' is awesome!

Particularly good on the Moon as well!

Cheers

Ron

I did get a quick look at the Moon and it was well within the fov, the Earthshine looked awesome and lots of the darker markings were easily visible. Also i did manage anothe quick session just now and thing i will rename the Nirvana "The Galaxy Bagger". Just found loads Ron. Can`t wait for our next clear meet. :D

Edited by oldfruit

Great report.

Nice to see that EMSers are starting to realise just what a WOW factor these ultra wide angle eyepieces provide.

I first realised this over 10 years ago when I got a 31mm Nagler. Since then I've been hooked on this spacewalk experience.

It is worth noting that a 100 degree eyepiece covers 1.5x the area of sky that an 82 degree covers!

There is also a 120 degree version coming out which covers more than double the amount of sky in the 82 degree!!

Be warned that when you go back to your average plossl, it will be like you are squinting through a straw :D .

I agree with everything you have said, the view is to die for, you are well and truly hooked.

The 16mm is just as good and so is the 7 mm, the 4mm very rarely gets used but is great on Lunar.

Have fun.

Great report mark. Sounds like a fantastic eyepiece. I have had a look a couple of times through micks 28mm UWAN and agree it is awesome. I cannot wait to start my journey on the wide field path-should start tonight as my Ethos is due to arrive today! :)

Great report mark. Sounds like a fantastic eyepiece. I have had a look a couple of times through micks 28mm UWAN and agree it is awesome. I cannot wait to start my journey on the wide field path-should start tonight as my Ethos is due to arrive today! :)

Which one did you buy Felix?

Cancel this just found the thread.