• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is Modding worth it ? M42 direct comparison.

Graham

Last night on the 16.02.2013 I finally managed a proper First light with my now modded 350 D.

I decided to do a direct comparison to the unmodded version of M42 so I could see the difference.

Started off by cranking the mount way past the meridian limit stop to save the need for the dreaded flip.

Lined up the target and set it going on 30 second subs.

The aim was to try and get 500 plus subs in the session.

I managed 438 before M42 disappeared be hind some trees.

I knew the 'seeing' was pretty bad with a lot of high cloud and tons of moisture in the air but it was a lot worse that it looked.

After sorting through the subs and dumping the ones with helicopters flying through and the cloud laden ones I was left with 122.

There are still a few rouge subs in there that have messed up the shape of the stars.

Helios 200 Newt.

Cannon 350 D modded.

122 x 30 second subs at ISO 800.

21 Darks.

21 Flats.

Stacked in DSS

Tweaked in PS 6.

M42-16.02.2013.MOD.jpg

Direct comparison.

Similar subs and processing but un-modded Cannon 350 D.

M42%2031.01.2013.jpg

Edited by Graham

There's a lot of red (Ha) filtered out in the unmod'ed version. The extra data from the mod'ed one can be brought out in the processing. The best way to compare is by taking a normal shot from each camera in daylight - without processing either - any colourful scene will do.  You'll see a huge difference between them - the modded one will have a cold pink tinge to it indicating how much red has got through without the filter and swamped all the other colours. :)

Kim I think you missed the point I was trying to achieve.

The purpose of this exercise was to see the difference it makes in Astro photography.

I think that not only are the colours more vibrant there is considerably more detail in the modded camera version.

This detail is evident on the raw subs before they even get to the processing stage.

I did it purely to give folks a chance to see a direct comparison that modding makes to the images.

I for one have to say that the aggravation, headaches and stress doing the mod was in the end very worthwhile.

No contest graham, it is so worth it. Love the colours you have from the modded version. I am totally ignorant when it comes to AP, are the red/purple hues in the modded camera shot added in the processing stage or are they there and picked up by the modded chip?

No contest graham, it is so worth it. Love the colours you have from the modded version. I am totally ignorant when it comes to AP, are the red/purple hues in the modded camera shot added in the processing stage or are they there and picked up by the modded chip?

Felix the filter in the standard camera blocks most of the infrared spectrum.

When you mod the camera this filter is removed so allowing the extra red light to be collected by the chip.

You still need an IR filter but a proper astro IR filter lets through more of the light spectrum that makes up the nebular.

Hahaha - sorry Graham, I thought you were actually asking the question cos you weren't sure .... lol

Good comparison :)

Got to agree, I have not done a comparison yet, but will do on M42 before it disappears for the Summer.