• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Light TV Ethos 13mm

catman161

So we finally had some, what were looking to be crystal clear skies. So Kim and I decided to setup on his drive and test our new gear; his TAL 100 and my 13mm Ethos eyepiece.

So I got to Kim's at 7:50pm and the skies looked awesome. I got to setting up the mount, polar aligning, mounting my 200P, aligning the finder scope and setting up the dew control and scope cooling gear. By 8:25pm it was all sorted-at 8:30pm cloud started rolling in :(

Undeterred we carried on regardless. The cloud went from bad to worse so we had a couple of cups of tea and chatted and resorted to jumping up to the eyepiece of our scopes when the target we were tracking appeared in the gaps in between clouds for a few seconds. There were unfortunately very few gaps but the ones we did get we managed to view the moon, Jupiter, M45 and NGC457.

The seeing was, as you would imagine terrible for most of the night. We did have one period of approximately 10 seconds where there was a gap in the clouds and the seeing settled brilliantly. At this point I was looking at Jupiter. The view was pristine. All four Galilean moons were present in an almost perfect line and were pin sharp pricks of light. The disc itself was very sharp showing good band detail. Unfortunately due to the rolling cloud at no point did I get a chance to put the 2x Powermate in.

Next I sent the scope to track the moon and awaited gaps in the cloud. There were a few occasions where the clouds parted but it seemed very turbulent for the most part. The moon fitted comfortably in the FOV and the detail on display (despite the "bubbling" effect in the atmosphere) was breathtaking. The craters seemed as though the edges were , I'm not sure how to describe it other than "touchable" it was like I wanted to reach into the eyepiece and grab them.

Then we managed a quick glimpse at M45. It did not fit entirely into the FOV but a good portion if it did. The thing that got me about this was the vibrancy in the colours of the stars on view. They were such a startling bright blue in the ethos-absolutely stunning.

Lastly we managed a look for a minute or so at NGC457 (The Owl Cluster). This fitted nicely in the field of view. Despite the high, thin haziness (in the gap in the clouds!) I was absolutely blown away by how different the cluster looked to my previous viewings. There were just so many more stars! All the at to the edge every star was just stunning. The huge 100 degree AFOV was astounding an made me look "around" the eyepiece and up and in towards all sides/edges. It was like I was climbing inside of it-truly breathtaking.

To conclude if this is what the eyepiece can do in bad conditions with streetlights close by I am keen to see how it performs at a dark sky site with a truly clear night with good seeing conditions. It has whetted my appetite go more with this great eyepiece and to continue to save for the 21mm Ethos next :)

I had a great time chatting with Kim last night on his drive and grabbing the observing opportunities when we could, him in his first light of TAL 100 ( first light report Kim? ;) ) and me with the 200P and TV Ethos 13mm. Despite the terrible conditions I had a thoroughly enjoyable night-Cheers Kim :)

Wonderful report Felix.

Glad you enjoyed the 100 degree experience in a top quality ep.

You're hooked now and it will cost you a fortune :)

Thanks guys. I am well and truly hooked! Am so glad I have recently landed a better paid job as I am gonna need the cash by the looks of things!

Good report thanks felix. Shame the weather was rubbish. I was out looking too.

Out of interest did the tiger seal work on your mount foot?

Good report thanks felix. Shame the weather was rubbish. I was out looking too.

Out of interest did the tiger seal work on your mount foot?

Oh yes the tiger seal worked a treat thanks Toby. I thought I had messaged you to say all was well??

100 degrees of optical loveliness I bet Felix. Nice report must get a gleg through it next time we meet

You're more than welcome any time Phil, as are all :) I haven't yet seen the double cluster in it yet and am really looking forward to it.