• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hyperion Mark III 8-24mm click stop zoom - SOLD

catman161

Anybody that has a Hyperion Mark III 8-24mm click stop zoom in good condition going for a reasonable price please chuck me a PM

Felix

The Celestron kit ain't cutting it then..... lol :)

Ha Ha :) it is better than the EP's that came with the Dob, it is just I love the simplicity of the Hyperion. Also the quality and FOV was just brilliant. Like you said Kim you have spoit me by lettting me use your awesome EP's the other night ;)

Felix

Guest Kheldar

What happened to I can't buy anything I'm getting married? :D

PS : You will save a few quid going for a Mk II rather than the III

Edited by Kheldar

PS : You will save a few quid going for a Mk II rather than the III

How do the mark II and Mark III differ?

The Mk111 is a touch softer and more fluid in movement and doesn't click so firmly at the field stops - no biggie cos it can be used throughout it's range of movement - field stops are arbitrary. Some folks have reported it stiffening up in the colder temperatures - I've never noticed this in the Mk11.

Viewing wise the Mk111 is a tad "colder" - subjective of course - but if it was sharper or more contrasty it wasn't noticeable to my eye. Both about the same in terms of internal reflections - ie nothing noticeable. I'm very much of the same opinion as most others who've done a comparison - the improvements between the new and old model are mostly mechanical.

But both are typical of good German mechanical engineering. Perhaps a different method or density of lens coating was used in the Mk111 but personally I prefer the warmer view of the Mk11. A zoom will never be as good as the equivalent fixed stop pieces, but it's a very flexible and versatile eyepiece two or three quality leaps above supplied eyepieces. :)

stick one on the wedding gift list, doesn`t have to be all toasters, kettles and washing machines L.O.L.

Ha ha ha! I would love it if someone bought me the Hyperion zoom as a wedding gift! My hopes aren't high though!!

• 4 weeks later...