• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Diagonals

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

How much difference visually is there between my stock Celestron star diagonal, and the XLT Starbright Celestron Diagonal - other than the 2" size compared to 1 1/4" will it make any difference to the visual performance?

There is usually a big difference to be had in upgrading from the stock diagonal. Personally I upgraded to a WO dielectric 2" and the difference over the stock skywatcher one was amazing

Guest CodnorPaul

thanks Teslar!

Damnuut - what I basically mean is I have a Nexstar 8SE with standard 1 1/4" star diagonal.  There is a 2" Celestron mirror one with XLT coatings for £80 - would this be a good upgrade, would I be better with a Revelation Dialectric (spelling?), or a WO one?

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Paul,

both give you access to 2" ep's. Which when used on long focal length eps will be great with your scope. I am with teslar, a w/o or revelation dielectric would be great and give superior light transmission. Revelation will be cheaper and I could not tell difference beteen Meade 2" uhtc, wo 2"  or a 2" revelation in my scope...

Cheers

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Paul,

Two types sct which has the screw connector and push fit which in general are for refractors. Exception is on Meade sct's when you convert the back to a full 2" apperture then you need a push fit. If you have the standard back on yours you will need the sct fitting diag.

Cheers

You'll find 2" diagonals a lot brighter cos they allow more light through than the 1.25" ones. The Revelation and WO CF diags are pretty comparable in performance but imho the Celestron XLT one has a slight edge which I put down to coatings and target scope.

The 925 has a slightly larger visual back than the 8" models so there's more light getting through the visual back as well. For me the big advantage is that 2" diags are bigger and stronger for the larger eyepieces or attaching a camera - so you get a more solid connection. Hth :)

They still work in the 8" tubes Paul - I used mine in the CPC800 very successfully. You will get a bit more light reflected for a slightly brighter view than the 1.25" diag. They come with a 1.25" to 2" adaptor so you have eyepiece choices deffo worth it.

The WO CF one also comes with an Sct adaptor so it can be used as screw on or push fit. But check with the supplier cos they sometimes take it out to sell separately, you can get them for around £85 brand new now (it was £115 when I got mine). :)

Ohhh right - yup but it's only my opinion - best try one out at a meeting to see if you find the same difference as me - no two sets of eyes see the same way lol :)