• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New weapon of mass distraction.

Guest Turtleboy

Guest Turtleboy

Well I was warned about aperture fever but 3 weeks to upgrade from a 4 inch Mak to a 10 inch dob must be some kind of record. :lol:

Here's my new scope. It's a 10 inch Dark Star with a beastly 62 inch tube length, made with the highly respected David Hinds optics. I pick it up tomorrow evening and I can't wait. Expect more cloudy skies for the foreseeable future.

Scope_zpse2f9ba67.png

Edited by Turtleboy

What is the focal ratio on that, around the F6 mark?

Thats gonna be a bugger to transport, have you got a van?

:)

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest Turtleboy

Hi Daz. I believe it's a 6.4 from what limited information I can find on the scope on the net as they're no longer made but seem to be (have been) fairly well regarded. I was speaking to the guy from Beacon Hill telescopes in Louth who's been building telescopes since before Newton :lol: and he couldn't speak highly enough of the Dark Stars which swung the decision towards this instead of a new 8" Skywatcher. Should be an interesting learning curve.

Yeah I have a van. :D

Edited by Turtleboy

Guest Turtleboy
Superb scope that, f6.4 will make it an excellent planetary scope, nice to see another classic. Do you know when it was built

No, only that they are no longer trading. I may hopefully know a bit more when I pick it up this evening.

The Dave Hinds mirror will set you in good stead, I had a DH set in a 6" classic cassegrain / newtonian in the 80s and that was a superbly figured set.

Nice scope there.

Was it Barry that you spoke to? I have spoken to him in the past, and he's a really nice guy, and very helpful. 

Congrats on the new scope.  :)

Guest Turtleboy
Nice scope there.

Was it Barry that you spoke to? I have spoken to him in the past, and he's a really nice guy, and very helpful. 

Congrats on the new scope.  :)

Yeah I think that was him although I don't recall actually getting his name but he was super helpful even though I wasn't buying anything from him. I rang him to ask about mirror recoating and although he doesn't do it himself he offered to send them off for me free of charge because he gets a trade discount.

Very nice chap and really knows his stuff.

Guest Turtleboy

Well I've just got back from picking the scope up and it's an absolute monster. Very pleased with it and I can't wait to get out and have a go.

The guy I bought it off has had it since new. It's about 10 years old and he's obviously looked after it.

Yeah Barry is a nice guy, I remember talking to him on the phone for about an hour and I only wanted a 10 quid adaptor. Nice bloke loads of knowledge. Thats how dealers / suppliers should imho, no avoiding human contact hiding behind technology. But them Im old fashioned:-)

Guest Turtleboy

Another picture of the brute now I have it home. For scale purposes 1 Staffy = apprixamately 18 inches. :lol:

20130223_150757_zps6b36a4b6.jpg

Just need some clear skies,now. :(

Edited by Turtleboy

Very nice scope Martin, you will love the views through it.

Yeah Barry is a nice guy, I remember talking to him on the phone for about an hour and I only wanted a 10 quid adaptor. Nice bloke loads of knowledge. Thats how dealers / suppliers should imho, no avoiding human contact hiding behind technology. But them Im old fashioned:-)

Thoroughly agree. I had a similar experience on the phone to Barry just yesterday. He likes a chat and is very helpful with bags of enthusiasm.

This was the first time I had spoken to him, but I had been aware of his scope building reputation for near on 40 years.

Guest Turtleboy

Yes I had a good chat with him too. He had great things to say about the Dark Star and David Hinds optics, and in the other side of the coin he (or rather Beacon Hill Telescopes) is even named on the David Hinds website as a scope maker of repute.

Great to have someone with such experience on the doorstep. I thoroughly recommend contacting him if you need any parts, help or advice. The kind of customer service that is unfortunately thin on the ground in this day and age.